cooling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingJim

Reaction score
I'd appreciate a couple of comments on the idea of using ice in milk cartons to cool wort.
They would of course be sanitized, and I would suspend them somehow to stop the neck of the milk carton from submerging.
Just an idea, what do you guys think?

I'd appreciate a couple of comments on the idea of using ice in milk cartons to cool wort.
They would of course be sanitized, and I would suspend them somehow to stop the neck of the milk carton from submerging.

A wort chiller....copper tubing run.....is what cools the wort. A small investment that does the job in the easiest way possible.

Seriously. Just drop 50.00 on a wort chiller and be done. I found one on Craigslist for 25. Works great

A wort chiller is better, but like most of us, you are probably on a budget, so yeah, you can put a milk continaer that has been sanatized and filled and frozen into your wort if you like. you can also make an ice bath (tube/sink full of ice water) to chill wort.

I'd also suggest a wort chiller. I tried all the cheap methods--ice bath, ice in the wort (bad decision), sanitized cold topoff water. The absolute best way to cool down your wort quickly is using a chiller. The $50+ or so is well worth the cost and time savings.

I'm with everyone else on the wort chiller. I did the ice bath thing on a ton of batches and every single time it was miserable, either I was worried that the bath water would get into the wort, or it would just take forever and be a pain. Wort chiller not only makes the whole thing easier but it also the quick chilling has made a difference in the quality of my beer - the batches are coming out with better clarity. So, yeah the ice in milk cartons would probably work if you can keep them suspended above the trub but it sounds like a pain. Plus, it sounds like you might have issues with melting the plastic? Eventually you're going to buy a wort chiller anyway so bite the bullet if you can afford it.

Milk jugs full of water take a long time to cool wort. Its actually quicker to use an ice bath and move the ice water in one direction and the wort in the opposite.

It will work fine. If doing AG make sure the caps are on tight and just drop them in.

If extract just use ice. It is preferred to freeze pre-boiled water but I dont bother I make my own ice,
put it in the fermenter poor the hot wort over the ice. NEVER had an infection yet.

Thanks guys. It's not necessarily the the budget, but available space and keeping SWMBO sweet. She bought me a Mr Beer kit not too long ago, which has now turned into an 11 gallon pot, gas burner, two fermentation vessels, loads of bottles, crates for bottles, etc, etc ......

I fear the wort chiller might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Back