Cooling wort in ice bath with frozen bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eckythump

Reaction score
Just tried this out last night.

I put 6 1L plastic bottles 3/4 filled with water in the freezer. When boil was done, I filled the sink with water and put the bottles in there. Changed the water 3 times during the half hour cool down. It worked very well.

Next time, I'm considering sanitizing the outside of the bottles and putting the bottles directly into the wort. Has anyone tried this? I'm concerned the very hot wort will destroy my frozen bottles?

I would worry about the hot wort semi-melting the plastic and letting out plastic compounds into your wort. I would just stay to indirect cooling processes like your doing unless you wanna upgrade to a wort chiller which you can safely sanitize and place in your wort.

Personally I freeze a 1 gal of spring drinking water from the store. The. I cut off the handle ( so the ice can come out) then cut off the bottom of the plastic jug and put the ice directly in my wort. This both tops off my batch and cools it down at the same time.

So far I have not had any bacteria issues and it works like a charm.

Putting the frozen bottles into the hot wort will work to cool it down. The hot wort shouldn't do anything to the frozen bottles.
They make an item called a rapi kool, which have a 32, 64, & 128 oz. capacity, which is designed for professional kitchens to quickly cool hot soups & stocks. I've used them with good results in this method. Been thinking of getting some to use to chill my wort.
Here is a link to show what they are
http://www.akitchen.com/store/rapi-kool.html

Putting the frozen bottles into the hot wort will work to cool it down. The hot wort shouldn't do anything to the frozen bottles.
They make an item called a rapi kool, which have a 32, 64, & 128 oz. capacity, which is designed for professional kitchens to quickly cool hot soups & stocks. I've used them with good results in this method. Been thinking of getting some to use to chill my wort.
Here is a link to show what they are
http://www.akitchen.com/store/rapi-kool.html

Those things looks great, although a little pricey. I'd fill them with salt water so that they freeze at an even lower temp.

Those things looks great, although a little pricey. I'd fill them with salt water so that they freeze at an even lower temp.

Plain water (safer if it should leak out) will get as cold as salt water.. Ice will get to the ambient temperature, salted or not.

bosco

Back