Cooling my Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People do it, I don't. Where is the ice coming from, did you boil water, sanitize the container it's in and such or is it commercial ice? On the commercial end you have know way of knowing if the equipment making the ice is sanitary.

Most commercial ice you get has been through enough sanitizing steps to be safe to use. But the operative word here is most. The problem with stuff you buy off the shelf is that you really don't know if it is really bacteria-free enough to put in your beer. You may add it any number of times without a problem. But it is sort of like driving 10 over the speed limit. Getting by with it a few times doesn't guarantee you won't eventually find yourself with a problem.

The safest thing to do is to boil the water a few days before brew day. Move that boiled water to the refrigerator and chill it down. Add the boiled/chilled water to your beer to cool or to top off.

I agree. I put a couple gallons of local spring water in the fridge a couple days before brew day to top off with. It's ozoned,filtered,etc. I chill the wort down in an ice bath to 75F or less. Then strain into fermenter & top off with the cold water to 65F or so.

Back