Cooling carboy during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whymby

Reaction score
I live in the hot desert and can't keep my carboy cool in the summer. Any ideas or products anyone knows of that I can use? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Whymby said:
I live in the hot desert and can't keep my carboy cool in the summer. Any ideas or products anyone knows of that I can use? Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

I use a 100 or so quart cooler standing upright and swap out ice bottles. Keeps it at about 66 to 68 degrees.

9cu chest freezer and Ranco digital temp controller. Set it and forget it til bottling day.

Yes, a chest freezer + temperature controller is your best option. If you camp out on craigslist long enough you can find one for less than $100.

Sounds good thanks! If I can't afford a chest freezer now do they make any type of cold jacket for carboys?

If you have a bucket big enough for your carboy (sometimes bottling bucket, sometimes a home depot bucket). Fill it with water (and ice) and then cover it all with a blanket. Switch out the water and ice as needed (you can reuse the water). That should hopefully tide you over til you can get yourself a ice chest.

The upright cooler idea is so simple and effective I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it before now! I'm in Georgia dealing with near 100' temps right now...with a cooler and a few chill blocks, my fermenter is sitting at a comfy 66-68'.

The upright cooler idea is so simple and effective I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it before now! I'm in Georgia dealing with near 100' temps right now...with a cooler and a few chill blocks, my fermenter is sitting at a comfy 66-68'.

I'll probably eventually upgrade to a chest freezer type fermentation chamber. But my igloo cooler that is now a swamp cooler works extremely well and is ridiculously easy to use. I had to swap out frozen water bottles 3 times a day, and even 2 bottles at a time, when fermentation was at its peak. But the temperature stayed a steady 63-65 degrees. Now that fermentation is pretty well complete I only have to swap out 1 water bottle 1-2 times a day to keep it at 63-65 degrees.

I have a drinks fridge out in the garage and SWMBO would not allow me to turn it into a beer fermentation chamber, as it is an old fridge I drilled a hole in the side of the freezer attached some PVC to go through the insulation and used an insulated hose to feed cool air into my fermentation chamber. I made that from 2 sheets of 1/4" hardboard from HD and packing foam peanuts and styrofoam from items ordered at work. I made it with 4" of insulation and it works great. The hole thing probably cost less than 20 bucks to build.

My latest addition was a micro-controller temp sensor and fan to draw more or less air from the freezer to hold the temp. The only catch at the moment is I need a thermowell as initial temps from active fermentation require a cooler air temp to compensate.

Clem

Back