Cool Weather Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ichthy

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm seeking advice for some ale styles that are best, or are good, when fermented at low temperatures. The basement is holding at 58F and I'd like to get a couple brews in before it gets too cold.

I just bottled a pseudoBock that I fermented with Nottingham yeast at ~56F and it did fine, FG 1.012.

That said, I'm planning on using Nottingham yeast because it works well at low ale temps.

Would an American Ale or IPA be okay to ferment at these temperatures (i.e., will it taste right)? Or brown ale?

On a somewhat unrelated note, I have some Crystal 60 and Chocolate malts that have been crushed, vacuum sealed, and placed in a deep freeze (they are from a prior brew day). How long do you suspect they will keep in storage? I'll pitch 'em if I have to, as it's not much grain.

Thanks in advance.

Generally, I try to ferment american and german style ales at lower temps and belgian and english style ales at a little higher temps.

A light hybrid american ale, like a cream ale, or a german kolsch might be good at cooler fermentation temps.

Since my house is cold (damn Northwoods!), I ferment most of my ales on the cold side. For anything that I actually want esters in, I use an aquarium heater in a water bath around the fermenter.

I tend to make APAs, IPAs, American brown, cream ales, California Common, etc at 59-62 degrees using an ale yeast that can take the cooler temperatures. I use California lager yeast for the common.

I also make lagers this time of year. It's easy for me to make a water batch, with one frozen water bottle in it, and ferment at 50 degrees in my basement. If you get bored with ales, you could always give it a try!

Thanks so far for the info! I planning on trying some lagers when the weather cools a bit more, but am a little leary of taking the plunge.

Back