Cool Genealogical Find

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mateo

Reaction score
I just wanted to share this...

I was researching my genealogy and came to my Great Great Grandfather who was a famous man so there is a good deal of history written about him.

He studied brewing and distillation in England and set up one of the first breweries in Charlottestown, PEI.

Then I found there is a Cream Ale named after my G.Great Grandfather!!! How cool is that. Now I must make that genealogy trip to taste this beer.

Now I can tout that I come from a long line of brewers :mug:

I love cool finds like that!

Wonder what this stuff tastes like?

http://www.gahan.ca/handcrafted_ales.php

I just learned that my housing addition was called Valhalla over a decade ago.

You some from a long line of brewers but, I brew in the shadows of Valhalla.

That is so cool. My wife is really into the family genealogy and so far there is no one famous, and certainly no one with a beer named after them. My grandfather came here from Germany just before the onset of WWI. My dad told me that his dad brewed his own beer and he remembers watching him use the bottle capper in the photos below to cap his beer. It has been in the garage for well over 50 years and now that I am in to brewing beer it has taken on a whole new connection to my past. I haven't used it yet, but when I do I am sure that it will be an emotional moment. Much like you will experience when you taste your great great grandfathers beer for the first time. :)

BC1.jpg

BC21.jpg

Dude! That thing is cool! I wonder what the crown size is on it. I would run an empty test bottle on it to see if it works.

m.

Wow both of you have awesome stories, and those pictures are great. I've always thought about how cool it would be to pass down my hydrometer or something when I get really old.

I've been there!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got the mug and the shirt to prove it!!! Its a pretty sweet little place! Its in an old part of town, and the upstairs is the bar/restaurant and downstairs is the brewery bathrooms. When I was there, I went downstairs to go to the bathroom and they were brewing and I chatted to the guy for about 20 minutes. The red is their best beer, it was delicious! I don't remeber what any other of the beers tasted like it was a bit ago, but I do remember the red.

Great find!!!! You should be proud!!!

Back