cooking wine for fish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to brew a wine specifically for cooking or even stranger, cooking fish?
I can imagine some grape concentrate with a touch of lemon, thyme and oregano added before brew and salt before bottling.
Thoughts?

Any wine good enough to drink is good enough to cook with! I don't think I'd spend the time and effort making a wine solely to cook with. You can add all of those herbs and seasonings in the pan.

Yah... I had that thought too. Basically this question comes from my current choices of wine. Mixed berry, raspberry and carrot (most my brewing is cider and beer). If I could make a simple and quick wine for cooking, I might as well try something different.
Could I make a simple wine with out the aging for cooking? The theme for this would be quick and easy.

I have a friend who makes garlic wine, onion wine, and something else that escapes me right now, all for cooking.

They still need to be made like regular wines, as you don't want a sediment-ridden wine to cook with. You could do a lower ABV cooking wine but it still needs some time.

We make a very strong ginger wine to cook with, excellent on fish, really good in stir fry, drop a bottle of it in the punch at Christmas, we put in a lot of ginger, it burns if you drink it by itself, a real eye opener that brightens everything up. WVMJ

I use sweet or dry rice wine for pork, chicken and fish/seafood. Ginger added works well too or you can simply mix your wine with ginger ale in the marinade or directly in the pan for stirfry. The ginger ale will reduce and the sugars will begin to caramelize in a stirfry. Its very tasty with chicken or pork.

Latest posts

Back