Convoluted counterflow chiller technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flugelizor

Reaction score
I have a convoluted counterflow copper chiller from Midwest supplies.
It has 1/2" copper coil on the inside, so I can just plug my 1/2" silicone tubing on the wort in and out.
Kind of like this, but 1/2" wort tube:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/convoluted-counter-flow-wort-chiller.html

I have used it twice in single pass configuration and I am getting terrible efficiency. Takes like an hour of gushing cold water to get the wort to about 90F
I am thinking of trying recirculation instead of single pass chilling.

I have always used a fine screen to filter out any solids, but I think the screen would clog if I used it during recirculation.

Does anyone do this? What do you do with the hops and trub?
Just recirculate without a screen and dump it all in the primary when cool?

I use the Stainless model of that chiller recirculating through a whirlpool arm. By the time it's done cooling, usually 5-10 min max, a majority of the trub is all piled up in the middle. Then I just collect my wort using a pickup tube on the side, filtering using biodiesel strainers between the pot and the carboy.

On a side note. That chiller should be able to do better than an hour. The ground water near me is 60-65 this time of year and it still only takes about 10 min. Just remember that the water in side is the wort out side. They should be running in opposite directions.

Just remember that the water in side is the wort out side.

Well, maybe that's my problem. I have always used the outer ring for cool water. Inner tubing for hot wort.
Hey, are you sure? Why would they have garden hose connections for wort, and unfinished 1/2" tubing for water? I think I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Incidentally I do understand the flows go in opposite directions

Well, maybe that's my problem. I have always used the outer ring for cool water. Inner tubing for hot wort.
Hey, are you sure? Why would they have garden hose connections for wort, and unfinished 1/2" tubing for water? I think I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Incidentally I do understand the flows go in opposite directions

He's just saying that the flows go in opposite directions. Wort DOES go on the inside; chilling water on the outside.

You want your chilling water to run full blast and your wort to be throttled with a ball valve on the output. -Test the ball valve at different percentages open to get the best result.
I'm really frustrated with how short the convoluted counterflow chillers are; I wish SOMEONE would make a 25' convoluted counterflow chiller.

Adam

Just remember that the water in side is the wort out side.

Oh! Now I get it "in side" not "inside" I am slow today.
And yes, english is my native language.

Another issue I may have run into: too slow wort flow can allow air in the tube. You must make sure the whole thing is filled with liquid to work. Both hot and cold sides. I don't think that was the issue, but it is possible. I will test the theory later with water. 1/2" lines means there is less capillary action and air pockets can stay put instead of traveling out.

Correct. Getting "in side" and "inside" mixed would definitely confuse things. Fiddling with the flow of the wort will certainly change the cooling power. I recirculate as I mentioned, so I just go full power for the wort, but if you are trying for one pass, 1/2 or less might be better suited. Just have to fiddle with it.

I'm really impressed with how well my <$100 plate chiller works. It's so much cleaner looking too. Maybe it's time for a new toy?

I have a backup chiller. 1/4" CFC that works great.
I am just worried that a plate chiller will accumulate hops & trub in the crevices.
Tube chillers have no crevices.

Back