Converting recipe from extract to partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amh61

Reaction score
After reading DeathBrewer's thread on easy stovetop partial mashing, I've decided to take the next step and move toward partial mashing. However, I still have some left over ingredients for an extract brew. I want to split up the extract for my first couple partial mash brews, but still want to make the brew I had planned. The brew is a pale ale, so I was thinking of just using some American 2-row. I have no idea how much I should plan on using or if there are other grains that should go into a pale ale wort. Here is the recipe of the brew I had planned.

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
75% 6 0 Briess GOLD LME 34 5 ~
13% 1 0 Muntons Plain Light DME 44 5 ~
6% 0 8 Cara-Pils/Dextrine 33 2 ~
6% 0 8 American Crystal 40L 34 40 ~
Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity
1.056 / 13.8° Plato
(1.049 to 1.058)
Final Gravity
1.014 / 3.6° Plato
(1.012 to 1.015)
Color
8° SRM / 15° EBC
(Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency
75%
hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.5 Columbus pellet 15.2
boil 15 mins 0.5 Amarillo pellet 10.7
boil 15 mins 0.5 Citra leaf 15.6
boil 5 mins 0.5 Amarillo pellet 10.7
boil 5 mins 0.5 Citra leaf 15.6
post-boil 5 mins 0.5 Amarillo pellet 10.7
post-boil 5 mins 0.5 Citra leaf 15.6
dry hop 7 days 0.5 Amarillo pellet 10.7
dry hop 7 days 0.5 Citra leaf 15.6
Boil: 2.7 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
39.1 IBU / 8 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU
yeast

To me, it's way easier to convert an all grain recipe down to partial mash than it is to convert an extract up to it. This is because you already know exactly how much of what varieties of speciality grains to use; all you have to do is sub out some of your extract for some of the base malt.

If you start from extract, it can sometimes be confusing to pick a base malt, and you may miss on some of the speciality grains you might have enjoyed.

I'm just looking for a good pale ale base. Do you think it would be fine if I just looked for a partial mash recipe for a pale ale and just used my hop schedule instead. I think that may be the easier solution.

Latest posts

Back