Converting extract to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adetwiler

Reaction score
So I've been reading up about converting extract recipes to partial mash. I have a book full of great recipes, but they're all extract and I prefer to brew all grain.

Is it possible to make an all grain mash equivalent to what an extract recipe calls for?

Also, I'm working with a pretty small brewpot (when I don't borrow a friend's)--are there negative effects to taking a large recipe and making it smaller? Like just dividing it in half or whatever?

Thanks, folks. Cheers.

not a problem. you can convert it fairly easily. Just post the extract recipe. Also if you have a 5 gallon batch just cut everything in half to get to 2.5 gallons..

It is easy to convert.

1lb base grain= .75 LME= .6 DME.

Just figure out how much you can mash and use that much grain and then make up the difference with extract.

It is easy to convert.

1lb base grain= .75 LME= .6 DME.

exactly

for pilsen or extra-light extract use this.
it gets very experimental with amber and dark extract in recipes
You'll never get it 100% right because the data about whats in it isn't there.

1 lb of amber DME could be 1.4lbs base malt and 2oz of a crystal and you'd be close (but what crystal? 40-60 maybe will get you close)
dark extract is sometimes made with chocolate malt so 2oz chocolate and 1.4lbs of base malt will get your colour close to 1lb of dark DME, but not exact

most extract recipes are in the 6lb range. to make a partial that replaces 1/2 that (3lb bag of extract) is about 4.5 lbs base malt and 6oz specialty. A five gallon batch can still be done on the stovetop and cut your batch cost by about 40%

Awesome, thanks everyone! Super helpful. Here's the recipe as it is:

3.3 pounds light liquid malt extract
3 pounds amber dry malt extract
1 pound dark dry malt extract

So I'm thinking the conversion will look like:

4.5 pounds light malt grain
4 pounds amber grain (so base plus some crystal)
1.5 pounds dark grain (so base plus some chocolate?)

Thanks!

Awesome, thanks everyone! Super helpful. Here's the recipe as it is:

3.3 pounds light liquid malt extract
3 pounds amber dry malt extract
1 pound dark dry malt extract

So I'm thinking the conversion will look like:

4.5 pounds light malt grain
4 pounds amber grain (so base plus some crystal)
1.5 pounds dark grain (so base plus some chocolate?)

Thanks!

Unfortunately it isn't quite that linear and simple. While you can pretty much sub out pale malt for light extract the colored extracts can be made of various blends and ratios of grains. Rather than approach it as a direct swap for the extract products IMO it is better to start with the overall recipe and create the wanted colors and flavors with a blank slate. Are there any specific recipes or beers you have in mind?

Thanks, BigEd. I was doing a Pumpkin Porter. I went to my LHBS and they said the exact same thing, so he helped with the conversion. I would tell you how it turned out, but it's fermenting now, obviously!

Latest posts

Back