converting, and substitute.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've got kind of an involved question. I'm converting a favorite all grain into an extract, with specialty grains. The grain I'm converting is belgian pilsner. Now, firstly, is there a big difference between pilsner and pilsen? Also, I'm having a real problem finding any pilsner dme, or lme. Does it matter if its Belgian, or say, German? Also, if all else fails, what would be a suitable extract substitution for the pilsner? Thanks.

Not a terribly involved question :mug:

Pilsen is the town the style Pilsener comes from. It's like that with a lot of German stuff, not just beer. Dortmunder comes from Dortmund, Berliner (donut) comes from Berlin.

Are you looking for pils extract online or at a LHBS? Because I know it's available at Northern Brewer http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/northern-brewer-pilsen-malt-syrup.html

I also know that my LHBS carries pils LME so one in your area might.

As for Belgian or German, if you want a crisper malt taste go German, if you want a sweeter/softer malt taste go Belgian.

K, so there is no difference between the two? I was getting really confused there. The recipe says pilsner, but half the web sites say pilsen, the other half pilsner. I'm going. 60-40 lme to dme, and I didn't seem to have any problem finding dme pilsner. Isn't that weird? Lol.

K, so there is no difference between the two? I was getting really confused there. The recipe says pilsner, but half the web sites say pilsen, the other half pilsner. I'm going. 60-40 lme to dme, and I didn't seem to have any problem finding dme pilsner. Isn't that weird? Lol.

The two are equivalent. Just check the manufacturer because most of the LME/DME is about 50% pale/50% pilsner....so if your recipe calls for both, scale the pilsner extract up to the amount of pilsner you need, and reduce the Light DME/LME by the quantity that the pilsner is contributing.

The recipe calls for 13 lbs Belgian pilsner, I'm converting that to lme, and dme. Totals are 6 lbs lme, 3 lbs dme. Roughly 60-40. I'm gonna leave the specialty grains alone. I have till Sept. To get this together. That's when white labs releases the yeast I need for this.

Back