Convert a recipe for me please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myersn024

Reaction score
I'm going to make a clone of Sam Adams Boston Ale and I found a good recipe, but I need it converted to either extract or extract + steeped grains. I've done a mini-mash before and just don't feel like doing it again at the moment. Can someone please convert the grain bill below to either extract or extract + steeped grains?

TIA,
Nick

Grain
8 lb 2-row
1/2 lb crystal 10L

homebrewer_99 said:
1 lb grain = .6 lb DME...;)

That's what I needed. I couldn't remember the conversion factor and was too buzzed to find it.

I recently converted a few recipes from extract to grain. I found QBrew (see my sig) to be great for this.

Take the original recipe and plug it in. Get SG, color, etc. Then start a new recipe and juggle the ingredients until you get it the same. Then run it by people in the brewing community, of course.

Nick, I've been looking for a good Boston Ale clone recipe myself. Here is one that I found that may be similar to what you are looking at:

7.75 lbs Pale LME
1.00 lb crystal 10L steeped for about thirty minutes.
1.5 ounces of East Kent Goldings for 60 minutes
0.5 ounces of saaz for 15 minutes
0.5 ounces of saaz for 5 minutes
0.5 ounces of cascade for 5 minutes
Safale ale yeast

source: http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes/ale/american/recipes/39.html

And here is another that I'm planning to try. It is based on a partial mash that I found on the web then converted to extract with steeping using BeerSmith. The end result is:

3.07 lb extra light DME
4.27 lb pale LME
0.68 lb crystal malt 60L
2.0 oz spalter (5.3%) - 60 min
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings (6.0%) - 30 min
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings (6.0%) - 10 min
1.0 oz Fuggles (4.5%) - 0 min
yeast: East Coast Ale (White Labs #WLP008)

Gives 31.5 IBU and 10.3 SRM.

I'm planning on trying this last recipe for my next batch, although I'll probably use Safale dry yeast instead of the one specified.

If you get a good result with your clone, please post it.

Back