Conversion Rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdenmark

Reaction score
I have a question about converting from an extract recipe to a partial mashing recipe. How do I know how much grain to use in a partial mash compared to the amount of dry extract.

I was also wondering how much grain I can use compared to dry malt extract. Should I go half and half or try to use as much grain as possible? Thank you for the help.

Generally, 1 pound base grain = .75 pound light LME = .6 pound light DME.

The more grain you can mash, the less extract you'll have to use.

For example, in this recipe:

10 pounds 2-row
1 pound crystal 20L

You could do this recipe grain in the following ways:

7.5 pounds light LME
1 pound crystal

6 pounds light DME
1 pound crystal

3 pounds light DME
5 pounds 2-row
1 pound crystal

and so on. I like to use as much grain as I can, so I can buy less extract! I find dry extract in 3 pounds bags so I try to "even" it up that way.

Thank you for the advice. But I am just wondering so then what really is the difference between a partial mash and all grain? Because I could technically get an extract recipe and use as much grain as possible and as little as the DME possible correct? Thanks again.

Thank you for the advice. But I am just wondering so then what really is the difference between a partial mash and all grain? Because I could technically get an extract recipe and use as much grain as possible and as little as the DME possible correct? Thanks again.

A partial mash is done when you can't mash all the grain so need to use some extract to "make up" the difference. Another time a partial mash is great is when you want to use special grains- oats, Munich malt, biscuit malt, etc, which must be mashed and not steeped. You can mash as little grain or as much grain as your system will allow.

Back