Conversion from All Grain to Partial Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icantbejon

Reaction score
Is there a "simple" way to convert a recipe from all grain to partial mash? I have found a few I want to make and I'm not quite ready for a full mash.....I don't think. Any help is appreciated. I tried a search of the forum, but I wasn't sure which keywords were going to get me where I needed to go.

Is there a "simple" way to convert a recipe from all grain to partial mash? I have found a few I want to make and I'm not quite ready for a full mash.....I don't think. Any help is appreciated. I tried a search of the forum, but I wasn't sure which keywords were going to get me where I needed to go.

The easiest way to convert is just to consider that 1 pound of two row (base malt)= .75 pound pale LME = .6 pound light DME.

That may not be exact (depending on the efficiency assumed of the AG recipe) but it's darn close.

You'd keep all of the specialty malts the same, and then sub DME or LME for the base malt as able.

For example, in this made up recipe

1 pound crystal 40L
.50 pound Victory
10 pounds two-row

You could do:
1 pound crystal 40L
.50 pound Victory
7.5 pounds LME or 6.0 DME

OR
1 pound crystal 40L
.50 pound Victory
5 pound two-row
3.75 pounds LME or 3.0 pounds DME

and so on. If you assume that 10 pounds 2-row = 7.5 pounds LME = 6 pounds DME you can be flexible and use the amount of grain you can mash.

I hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back