Controlling overflow in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munche

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I just brewed my second batch and threw it in the fermenterator this weekend. It's chugging away in there, but I noticed the foam (err, krausen right?) is getting HIGH...like, all over the top of the carboy and dangerously close to the top. I don't want it to overflow and spill stuff everywhere, but is there anything I can do about it?

I've seen people talk about overflow buckets but I'm not sure how I'd set one up. My AIPA next to it never got to this point, but the Dunkelweizen is looking particularly vigorous.

Thanks guys!

Use a large tube from the mouth of the carboy into a container with and inch or so of water in it. Or a smaller diameter tube connected to an airlock.

Am I right in guessing we're sticking the end of the tube into the water to prevent anything from going into the tube? I'm mentally trying to plot how this would work in my fermenterator.

Dunkleweizen can be very vigorous. My airlock caps hit the ceiling. I started using a larger primary fermentor after this. You can use a blow off tube into a bucket of water.

P5160009.jpg

Am I right in guessing we're sticking the end of the tube into the water to prevent anything from going into the tube? I'm mentally trying to plot how this would work in my fermenterator.

You got it. It works on the same principal as an airlock.

Back