Controlling or moving Star San foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bottle washer that does 24 bottles at a time. Basically, a submersible pump running to a manifold with 24 upright tubes (not an original idea). The mainfold sits in a plastic box with a central drain which return the cleaning solution to the pump. For cleaning, works great. However, when I try to use a Star San solution to sanitize, I get too much foam. It overflows the reservoir that pump is in and ends up on the floor. So my question is, is 1) a way to reduce the foam production, 2) is there a way to move the foam through a mainfold (pump won't work on compressible fluid), or 3) is there a non-foaming, no rinse sanitizer?

Kegging won't meet my needs, so bottling is where I'm trying to minismize time. Thanks for any suggestions

3) is there a non-foaming, no rinse sanitizer?

Kegging won't meet my needs, so bottling is where I'm trying to minismize time. Thanks for any suggestions

As RiverCityBrewer mentioned SaniClean is what you could try, works great with all my pumps.

Saniclean sounds like what I need as long as it is below 200 ppm. Not a problem, I mix Star San in small batches using a graduate and pipette. Thanks for the help.

Ok, how much foam is too much? I have used Star San in 6 gallon carboys and no matter how careful I was I ended up with 1/3 of the carboy volume in foam. My brain says 'bad!' and it bothers me to rack beer into such. it is nigh impossible to get out, and the suds last forever.

This stuff makes more bubbles than Mr Bubble bubble bath...

Ok, how much foam is too much? I have used Star San in 6 gallon carboys and no matter how careful I was I ended up with 1/3 of the carboy volume in foam. My brain says 'bad!' and it bothers me to rack beer into such. it is nigh impossible to get out, and the suds last forever.

The foam is fine, it won't hurt anything. I believe there is a post that contains an interview with the creator of Star San that concludes (paraphrasing here) that any sanitizer (foam) left when beer is put in breaks down into a nutrient for the yeast.

Answer two problems with one post, or maybe not.

You are using to much Starsan solution to sanitize the carboy. Pour in about 4 ounces swish and rotate. Turn upside down to drain to the mouth. Dump the liquid solution back into the bucket. Use your spray bottle to knock the remaining foam down so it drains out.

Large amount of foam from bottle sanitizing. Try putting your sanitizing rig in a large tray, like a restaurant table bussing tray to contain the foam. The foam is effective for sanitizing, I wouldn't try to eliminate it.

Hmmm.........Anyone ever tried a couple of drops of Fermcap, in the situation of the over-foaming bottle / equipment washer?

I wonder if it would work in this situation?

You want to look at Saniclean (low foaming, similar to Star San). I use this in my keg washer to sanitize kegs and use Star San for everything else. It still foams a bit but is manageable.

Back