Controlled fermentation temps. How are you doing it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My house once had an option to have a powder room on the ground floor, but it became a utility closet. Because it was intended to be a bathroom, it has an exhaust for the HVAC in the ceiling. In such a small space, with the door closed, the space stays cool as a cucumber. I keep a battery-operated temperature gauge next to the carboy so I can know what range the ale is fermenting in. Best thing--this temperature gauge lists what range it experienced for the past 24 hours. Range is typically 64-67 degrees, even in the tropical-like summers of DC.

This setup works very well in summer, and in winter, I just close the vent so heat doesn't affect it. It's a town house, so the insulation on both sides keeps a more consistent range than a single-family with more windows.

The reason I provided so much detail is that I reckon there are many homebrewers living in newer homes having a room which could have optionally been a powder room. It tends to offer reasonable control with no additional cost or setup. Now, to guarantee consistency and more control, obviously a chest freezer would be ideal, but this tends to produce excellent beer.

Cheers!

Another guy with an el cheapo fridge/STC combo. Controlling temps is the best money you'll spend in brewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

7 cu ft Chest freezer and stc-1000. i can ferment 2x 5-6 gallon batches in there.

I have an ale ferm chamber ( 20 cf) w / a dual temp control from Ranco, a lager ferm chamber(7 cf)w/ a single stage temp control and a lagering/cd crash chamber (15cf).

My girlfriend and I are putting the finishing touches on our "fermentation room" in which we will be storing our two 14 gallon conicals, and two 6.5 gallon Big Mouth Bubblers. Room for at least two more conicals!

IMG_2587-small.JPG

IMG_2625-small.JPG

Whoa, now that's ^^ a nice setup!

Thank you. Being in the Bay Area we are so multi-climate that it is so difficult to keep a constant temperature without a controlled environment and the conicals with temperature controlled jackets are just far to expensive to justify. Plus we can store carboys in there too and still have room to move around. I'm stoked as the AC unit also has a remote control that will tell us the temp. Hopefully we will resume brewing in July so I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes!

Being in the Bay Area we are so multi-climate that it is so difficult to keep a constant temperature without a controlled environment

Multi-climate? In California? Bahahaha, you must not come east of Sacramento much! Come visit the midwest and I'll show you "multi-climate" :) It was below zero here for months this winter and the heat index is 104 today. Cry me a river, NorCal! :)

Multi-climate? In California? Bahahaha, you must not come east of Sacramento much! Come visit the midwest and I'll show you "multi-climate" :) It was below zero here for months this winter and the heat index is 104 today. Cry me a river, NorCal! :)

lol At least you have temperature control for several months. A few weeks ago it was 105 and then the next day just barely 80 and the next week later was not even higher than 75! Not ideal for fermentation unless you have some kind of temp control. And San Francisco? It could be brutally cold in one part of town and in the 80's in another part of town in the same day!

And I have lived in the midwest lol

old fridge, Johnson A419, thermowell probe in one of the buckets

I have 4 buckets in there now (20 gallons)

This winter I may have to consider a heater. Last year I didn't have the fridge.

Luxpro PSP300 Heating and cooling outlet thermostat programmable.
About $40.00, In a chest freezer (rescued from the junk pile) plugged into a light bulb. Kept my fermentor within one degree, in this long crappy winter in lovely northern Wisconsin. Pretty cheap investment with awesome results. Not sure what I will do this summer, probably won't get above 70 degrees all summer anyways.

Hate to break it too you but Iola is in central Wisconsin.

Back