Controlled fermentation temps. How are you doing it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibrew2little

Reaction score
Like title says? What's your secretes. I was thinking heating pads but can't control temps specific enough. Thought about adjust house temps... Nixed that. I'm drunk an out of ideas haha. Thanks all!! Happy brewing

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Chest freezer, Johnson controller, and probe taped and insulated against the outside of the fermenter. Controls temp of the liquid to within 1 degree. No heat pad for me. Temps where I live don't drop down low enough for long enough to be a concern.

Water bath using rubbermaid totes.

In the winter I warm it using an aquarium heater and my stir plate attached to the side.

In the summer I cool it using a fan blowing on the water to drop it a few degrees, which is all I need. Frozen water bottles can drop it even lower, but requires swapping out at least 3 times a day.

A water bath is cheap and pretty easy and doesn't require having yet another fridge in my basement (I already have a beer fridge and a mini fridge kegerator).

chest freezer, johnson controller, and probe taped and insulated against the outside of the fermenter. Controls temp of the liquid to within 1 degree. No heat pad for me. Temps where i live don't drop down low enough for long enough to be a concern.

+1

I converted my garage work bench cabinets.Insulated it, installed an STC 1000 dual temperature controller and use frozen 1 gallon water bottles and a Lasko personal space heater

Have a side by side that I gutted and built a shelf in and use a johnson controller. Can fit 5-6 carboys in there..

I made an automated water bath system using two bys, plywood, insulation, buckets, pond pump and a Johnson controller. When that betrayed me by leaking, I converted it to fit a mini mini fridge I had and insulated it around the opening of the fridge, leaving the back end exposed to dump heat. I have yet to use that as I just completed that Friday, but it will work.

$50 Craigslist regular sized fridge with an STC1000 controller and a reptile heater infrared ceramic bulb heater.

I "need" another so I have one for fermentation and one for layering/cold crashing.

Old freezer, STC-1000 controller and a heating pad. I was using a Lasco heater, but it kept turning itself off at odd times.

$50 Craigslist regular sized fridge with an STC1000 controller and a reptile heater infrared ceramic bulb heater.

I "need" another so I have one for fermentation and one for layering/cold crashing.

This, except I already have the second one for lagering. Love the ceramic heat bulbs.

Used Craigslist fridge, $20 STC-1000 dual temp controller wired into an outlet box, DIY paint can heater with 40W bulb inside. Sensor taped to the side of the fermenter bucket and then covered with bubble wrap to insulate.

Works like a champ.:)

Old fridge, STC-1000 temp controller, and a cheap hair dryer. The hair dryer adds instant heat and stops quickly. Works great. I checked the current load on my amp meter and it was well within spec.

Built an STC1000 controlled 8 cubic foot freezer. Best money I've ever spent on beer. Do it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

2 5cu' chest freezers each with a Ranco controller (If building today I'd use the STC-1000). Haven't needed heat, so single stage works for me.

Many good ideas here.

Is the STC-1000 the consensus controller these days?

In essence, it seems as if a solid chamber can be built from a used chest freezer or mini fridge from CL andn an aquarium controller for less than $75... I might even be able to get that past my wife (assuming there is space in whatever house we buy...)

Is the STC-1000 the consensus controller these days?

Yes, for those who are comfortable doing some basic household-type wiring (which is required). It's inexpensive and works very well. I've got three in operation and haven't had any problems. Later this week, our local brew club meeting will feature how to make an outlet controller box using one.

I have a large tote filled with water. My basement stays a steady temp and has been about 50 for the last few months. I heat the water to the temp i need with aquarium heater. My only problem is, i can only regulate the temp of the water and not what is happening in the fermentor. I'm not sure if a temp controller would help this. If i had one that kicked on when the carboy temp was low. You would think that by the the time the heater heated the water up enough to warm up the carboy and kicked off that the temp in the carboy would continue to rise for a while longer. Maybe i am wrong about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Craigslist dorm fridge taped and bolted to the side of a 3' long by fridge sized home built box, lined with pink foam insulation, with a Lasko personal heater inside, all controlled by a STC-1000. Big enough for a couple of ale pail fermenters.

I just put my carboys in a big tuber ware and fill it up with water right bellow the thermometer strip. My house stays around 67-70 all year so the water temp doesnt swing much. It keeps my ales right at 66-68 the entire time. During the first day or two of strong fermentations i add an ice pack or two to keep the water cooler as wort temp increases. Staying at one exact temp the entire time isnt necessary. If you can keep a 4 degree range thats fine as far as my experience has shown me.

Yep, I've used the water bath with frozen water bottles when its too warm and an aquarium heater when its too hot. Also, now have a fridge with an STC-1000 wired to a two outlet box with a foil covered clip on lamp for the heater. Finally, I have a reasonably cool room that I use with just water when the outside temp is right. Keeps down temperature fluctuations and buffers against heating with vigorous early fermentations. All of them yield good beer.

I have a 2 inch foam insulated chamber cooled with a Transmission Cooler and Fan pumping water from my Keezer and controlled with a Ramp/Soap PID controller (I couldn't help myself). It was a pretty simple build and I didn't have enough room for another Chest Freezer.

Like title says? What's your secretes. I was thinking heating pads but can't control temps specific enough. Thought about adjust house temps... Nixed that. I'm drunk an out of ideas haha. Thanks all!! Happy brewing

Ferm chamber w/ Ranco dual stage digital controller for ales & occasionally wine, a chest freezer w/ a single stage controller for lager fermentation and a 15 cf upright freezer for lagering & cold crashing kegs.

In the summer, I keep the house around 68 so I just set the carboy by the vent and that keeps me in the mid 60s. Wintertime I just stick them in a closest in the middle of the house. We are moving though and I'm keeping my eyes peeled on Craigslist for a chest freezer.

I brew in San Francisco and have a basement that stays at 65 all year long. I also have a wine/salumi/lagering room that I keep at 54.

Chest freezer and homemade controller. I made the controller for $30, all you need is an STC1000 and a project box. The controller also controls a light bulb in a porcelain socket that raises the temperature when it drops too far. I attach the temperature probe to the side of my fermenter with a piece of insulation surrounding it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Home Brew mobile app

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/fe...p-cooler-ish-input-please-461187/#post5957439

Summertime setup to come, will be a stc 1000 with a 50W aquarium heater on the heat loop, and a copper heat exchanger in an ice bath with a water pump on the cooling loop of a stc 1000.

This is what I do....works fantastic. It works so great that I now have two setups. I can do an ale in one and a lager with the one....try to do that without having seperate fridges:D I just put the copper IC in water bath INSIDE my chest freezer.

I use a Cool-Zone cooling jacket to circulate ice water around the carboy, plus heat tape for warming, all controlled by a DIY STC-1000 controller. Temps are monitored using a thermowell in the carboy. Works great with temps a few degrees above or below my basement ambient of 68; haven't tried cold crashing yet. Build thread here.
- Woodbrews

This is what I do....works fantastic. It works so great that I now have two setups. I can do an ale in one and a lager with the one....try to do that without having seperate fridges:D I just put the copper IC in water bath INSIDE my chest freezer.

I feel like we can put a "Pimp My Ride" reference here.

We put a chiller in your chiller, so you can chill while your chillin'.

Luxpro PSP300 Heating and cooling outlet thermostat programmable.
About $40.00, In a chest freezer (rescued from the junk pile) plugged into a light bulb. Kept my fermentor within one degree, in this long crappy winter in lovely northern Wisconsin. Pretty cheap investment with awesome results. Not sure what I will do this summer, probably won't get above 70 degrees all summer anyways.

Luxpro PSP300 Heating and cooling outlet thermostat programmable.
About $40.00, In a chest freezer (rescued from the junk pile) plugged into a light bulb. Kept my fermentor within one degree, in this long crappy winter in lovely northern Wisconsin. Pretty cheap investment with awesome results. Not sure what I will do this summer, probably won't get above 70 degrees all summer anyways.

Luxpro PSP300
WHAT DO YOU MEAN ? IN FREEZER .... PLUGGED INTO A LIGHTBULB?

Chest freezer with a Johnson Temperature Controller to keep freezer chamber 6-10 degrees cooler than fermentation temperature.

Beer bucket has a heater wrap and a Williams brewing thermowell through lid where i slip in temperature probe from a second Johnson controller and set desired ferm temp and control heater wrap with that.

Keeping temp of chamber 6-10 deg F beliw fermentation temp removes excess heat created from fermentation and heater wrdp ensures temp stays steady. Beer temp does not vary at all. Stsys steady at whatever temp i set

In winter i unplug freezer from controller and put a small hester in freezer which is hooked to controller

My fermentations happen in my basement which is half finished and heated. I cool all year round so I don't need any heating.

IMG_0220_zpsf450b6a8.jpg

Made my chamber because I don't want to hurt myself lifting fermenters in and out of a chest freezer.

Back