Control panel cord length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I'm debating on whether I should get one 50' cord or two 25' cords for my panel (and just use one most of the time). In most instances, I'll be brewing in my garage and will be within 15-20 feet of my outlet. I can envision wanting to brew out back on my deck but would need a 50' cord for that. Another reason for a long cord is if I wanted to brew offsite with a generator, it would be nice to have some distance from the generator.

I have a few concerns with the 50' cord. It will be pretty heavy and possibly in the way when a shorter run is needed. Also, if I store it on a reel, would it be bad to keep half of it coiled up while in use?

The 25' cord would be easier to work with but for longer runs, it's another cord and connection to worry about.

One long cord would be a little cheaper...otherwise, is one better than the other?

My panel is 50A so I'll be using a 6/4 cord. It won't be cheap to go with 25' and 50' but what's a little more on top of everything else? It just sucks to spend the cash on two cords when the 50' cord won't be used very often.

My panel is 50A so I'll be using a 6/4 cord. It won't be cheap to go with 25' and 50' but what's a little more on top of everything else? It just sucks to spend the cash on two cords when the 50' cord won't be used very often.

Unless you spontaneously brew offsite, just hold off on buying the 50ft. You could also just buy the ends, but save the cash on the actual cord, which you can get at any Home Depot or Lowes, until you are actually ready to use it.

I'd go with a heavy-duty hose rack and the 50' cord.

It's fine to leave it coiled while energized.

I have to disagree..
Inductance, coupled with the lack of the cable to dissipate heat could cause a problem.. Depending on the usage this may be a small amount of heat, it could be considerable. It should not be enough to damage the cord, however it could be a fire hazard.

Ampacity of the power cord will drop considerably when coiled/wound up. Factors to consider reduction would be ambient temperature, how the cord is coiled, the gauge of the wire, etc.

It is a general bad practice to use 'any' extension cord coiled up, many people do it.

It's your God Givin' Right to disagree, but I'll continue to install, use and recommend coiled extension cords.

https://www.google.com/search?q=electrical+cord+reel+retractable&biw=1920&bih=936&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ov7vVKDcF8ulyASs2ICwCw&ved=0CEcQsAQ

Check out this beauty:
motorized-power-cord-reel.jpg

Heck, if you listen to the NFPA, we will all die from extension cords.

'da Kid

Nice storage.
I still would not use it coiled up..
I offer advice, based on knowledge and experience. It is your right to not listen.
:mug:

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin

I wasn't really looking for a 50' cord but found a really good deal on SOW cords (I prefer these to the STW that are more available) and don't want to miss out on it if I think I'll need 50'. I think I'll either go with 2 25' cords or a 25' and a 50' cord. Then just use the one 25' cord during normal brewing and join the two 25' or just use the one 50' if necessary.

The other problem with the cords is that they come with locking connectors on both ends. I need the locking connector for the panel end but straight blades to plug into my spa panel. I'll either need to cut off the male plug and replace it (Camco 55255) or get an adapter (Camco 55552). Even factoring in the cost of this, it's still much less than I've seen for a pre-made SOW cord.

Back