"Control cube" temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaPhil

Reaction score
I just scored a fridge off CraigsList and modified (i.e. hacked at the inside of the door) it to fit a carboy.

Now I need a temp controller. The problem is I am one of the least handy people on the planet, I barely know which end of the hammer to hold. I've done a lot of searching on here and all the "look how easy it is to wire this controller" threads are pretty meaningless to me.

So I need either A) Wiring 101 education to go along with wiring a new controller or B) an inexpensive plug-and-play controller.

I may have found what I'm looking for but wanted to run it by here first. Anybody used one of these or otherwise have an opinion?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Temperature-Controller-for-Heating-and-Cooling-Beer-Wine-Cheese-Sous-Vide-/151313032780?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item233af5a64c

That controller looks pretty good. It is less expensive than the Johnson controller, and, it handles both hot and cold. Unless the shipping costs are crazy high, go for it.

That looks like a pretty good deal. Plus it is in F. If you try and make this yourself you'll probably end of spending around $40 plus the time to build it.

Thanks for the input, I jumped on it before more HBT'ers snapped all of them up!

I did see the blackboxes after they were all sold out.

A follow-up:

I'm 6 days into my first fermentation with this controller, and I'm completely satisfied. I have the prob taped to the side of my carboy (with bubble wrap insulation) and it's holding the temps dead on.

I've got it set at a 2 degree differential for 66 and both the fermometer tape and the sample I pulled today were right at 66.

I'd highly recommend this if you're looking for a plug-and-play controller. They sell them here but I got mine on ebay for cheaper: http://www.perfect-cheese.com/temperature-controller

For the record, that is a single-stage controller. While it can be configured to control a heater or a cooler, it cannot manage both simultaneously like other units (Ranco ETC-21000, Johnson A-419, STC-1000, Love TSS2, etc)...

Cheers!

Correct, I meant to mention that. They also offer a 2 stage but for me in the southeast cooling is all I'm likely to need.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back