Continuous Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajr1

Reaction score
I was thinking what if hops were added throughout the boil rather than a few additions at the beginning and end. After some research, it turned out that a company already did this. Has anyone tried it at home? What were the results and how did you calculate IBUs?

I have not tried it, but working on an equation for IBU

=SUM[j=1 to N, (1.65)*(0.000125^(g-1))*(1-e^(-0.04*(t-j*i))*(acid*a*t/i)*(75/V)]

I've done it a lot- and made my DFH 60 clone many many times.

The thing is, I really can't tell the difference in those beers from the more traditional 60/15/10/5/0/dryhopped beers using the same basic recipe.

I've done it a lot- and made my DFH 60 clone many many times.

The thing is, I really can't tell the difference in those beers from the more traditional 60/15/10/5/0/dryhopped beers using the same basic recipe.

That's interesting, Yooper. I was always wondering if there was a homebrewer clone of the DFH hopping thing (is it "Hopinator," something like that?). I've never tried to continually meter in, but that's cool you have and have the data. Gets me thinking on the hop chemistry in the boil.

Edit: BTW, really enjoyed his book, many years ago. Favorite is probably rowing beer across the river - DFH's first export.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try it, and see what you think: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25709 I still brew it, but don't do the continuous hopping and instead go with more late hops, so it's more like 60 for the magnum, and then 15/5/whirlpool or like the one I mentioned 15/10/5/0. It's still really good, and I'm actually drinking it right this moment.

Back