containers for small quantities of grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepaholic

Reaction score
I have been buying my grain in bulk for about 6 months and use large air tight containers for the base grains. But the specialty grains I have been buying by the pound in less than 5 pound amounts just to have them on hand. I have been using quart mason jars and vacuum sealing them to pull out as much O2 as possible. Problem is I hate using glass. Some if these grains I'm sure I will have for more than a year so I want to make sure to store them as best as possible.

What is the best way to store specialty grains? I have looked at bins that can be vacuumed but they are very expensive. What do you all use?
Thanks

I bought a food saver and vacuum seal all my specialty grains it is not glass so it might be a good option for you.. They are kind of pricey but you can also use it for food and stuff

I have seen those and like them. I just wish they made bigger ones like 5 qt, and they weren't so expensive.

When I open a bag of specialty grains I fold the top down on what is left and slip the bag into a ziplock bag, squeeze out the excess air and seal it. Some of these sit for more than a year before I use them up and I don't notice any deterioration in them. Leaving the bag inside the ziplock bag lets me see the original label so I know what I have in there without having to remark the outside bag.

When I open a bag of specialty grains I fold the top down on what is left and slip the bag into a ziplock bag, squeeze out the excess air and seal it. Some of these sit for more than a year before I use them up and I don't notice any deterioration in them. Leaving the bag inside the ziplock bag lets me see the original label so I know what I have in there without having to remark the outside bag.

Same here, original bag in a ziplock and then store them all in a large tote bin.

+1

It doesn't get much easier than this. I always have a ton of grain around (100lbs base, 30lbs specialty usually) and I haven't noticed anything wrong with this method. I use large ziplocks to keep moisture out and rubber totes to keep mice out.

I either use foodsaver bags (by making the bag a little bigger than needed, you can get multiple uses out of the same bag),ziplock bags, or those plastic containers for breakfast cereal. The combination of those techniques has worked pretty well for me.

Back