Consumption Jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDWebb

Reaction score
While not a photo of a fancy electronic remote control fermentor or plastic bucket, nor a glass carboy of any particular size complete with airlock, this is highly relevant. This is our Consumption Jar at home. It is the aftermath of liquid refreshments typically consumed within our household. A few have even managed to find their way to our home from the bar on occasion. It is a 1/2 gallon mason jar, kept quietly in its place on the corner of our liquor shelf. Was wondering if anyone else had a consumption jar, or feel inspired to make one.
consumption.jpg

While not a photo of a fancy electronic remote control fermentor or plastic bucket, nor a glass carboy of any particular size complete with airlock, this is highly relevant. This is our Consumption Jar at home. It is the aftermath of liquid refreshments typically consumed within our household. A few have even managed to find their way to our home from the bar on occasion. It is a 1/2 gallon mason jar, kept quietly in its place on the corner of our liquor shelf. Was wondering if anyone else had a consumption jar, or feel inspired to make one.
consumption.jpg

We had one with wine corks, but it filled too quickly. It then spilled over to a tray, then to a tote, then to a larger tote. I now have enough cork to sell back to the vineyard:cross:. Is this realization step in "do i have a problem?"

I have a magnetized fridge opener/collector which I'm too lazy to empty, so the caps spill onto the floor which I don't pick up which, further emphasizing my laziness, I think eventually get pushed under the fridge. Note tonight's cap on it's dusty journey.

EDIT: Looks like he's after last weeks.

DSC00713.JPG

DSC00714.JPG

Yes, we had a bottle opener installed in the pantry at the old house with a tin Corona bucket hanging below it. House rule was that if your cap didn't land in the bucket, you had to slam your beer. It never caught on. Once it got too full, we dumped them in a double grocery bag and started over. Saved all the caps, and recently sold them all on Craiglist for $30 and started over.

Now we have a shelf of steins above the snake for commercial caps and the corona tin is used for homebrew caps.

IMG_2500.jpg

I have a magnetized fridge opener/collector which I'm too lazy to empty, so the caps spill onto the floor which I don't pick up which, further emphasizing my laziness, I think eventually get pushed under the fridge. Note tonight's cap on it's dusty journey.

EDIT: Looks like he's after last weeks.

I lol'ed at your extreme honesty, which doubles as entertainment. :)

I keep mine in a bag. I'll eventually go through and do something with them then give the rest away.

I see no upside to anyone. myself included, being able to track my alcohol usage in any accurate manner. I already have diaper boxes full of empties to explain.

It's the boxes full of used diapers that concerns me more ...

Those are just to make the inevitable Hoarders camera crew arrival a bit more eventful. If they come along and find nothing but clean empty beer bottles and back issues of Bass Player magazine, it'll make for bad television.

Wifey bought this for xmas, has a slot at the top to feed them in

I've started saving mine since I saw this exact shadowbox online somewhere!

I don't have many, as I only started about 3 months ago, but I'm well on my way to something special...I think?

my caps usually end up on top of the fridge until the wife tells me to clean them up. Then they go into a ziplock bag. I only keep the ones I don't already have. I've been collecting for about 6 or 7 years now so I have a pretty cool collection going from all over the country. I have no idea what I"m going to do with them, if anything.

Latest posts

Back