Consistent musty smell after a while in keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryking13

Reaction score
My last 2 IPAs (one west coast, one NE) have a musty sort of smell/taste after a couple weeks in the keg. It makes me think I have some sort of infection some where but I feel like my cleaning processes are fairly robust. I also clean my keg lines between each batch with oxyclean and starsan. What can I look towards?

I should also clarify: both of these beers were fermented in a keg, closed transferred so oxidation *shouldn't* be an issue but maybe something is getting messed up there causing oxidation? My NEIPA still LOOKS great (golden-yellow like it started) so I don't believe oxidation is the cause.

Last edited:
I don't know what to tell you to do for kegs. I've had metal canteens and other water containers that I never could get the musty smell and taste out of them.

Though next time you keg, you might bottle some of it to double check what you are tasting is really coming from the keg.

that's a great idea. It'd at least troubleshoot if it's my keg system or something I'm doing during brew/fermentation

I don't know what to tell you to do for kegs. I've had metal canteens and other water containers that I never could get the musty smell and taste out of them.

Though next time you keg, you might bottle some of it to double check what you are tasting is really coming from the keg.
sorry didn't reply directly to your quote:

that's a great idea. It'd at least troubleshoot if it's my keg system or something I'm doing during brew/fermentation

sorry didn't reply directly to your quote:

Well I didn't quote your op either. So do I have to apologize? If so I'm sorry!. o_O

I usually don't quote others unless it's very material to what I'm posting or that I really want them to reply to questions or points I made about their post.

Otherwise I just think of a thread as just a round of conversation at the bar with others. No need for formalities.

Just a thought, Oxyclean may be good for cleaning lines, but if your lines have beerstone build up, you really need an acid beer line cleaner. Also do you rinse lines with water after the Oxyclean or just Starsan? Maybe some type of reaction? My other though is some type of mold in your lines or taps?

Back