Consistantly fast fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoNova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
On all beer I have made thus far (extract, partial mash, and on Friday, my first all grain batch :ban:) all my fermentation action is virtually over in 24-48 hours. I realize that just b/c the bubbles in the airlock are gone doesn't mean fermentation is totally finished. I always get a krausen, but it is always small and I have never even come close to needing a blow off tube.

I have made various styles too (blonde, hefe, lager, pale ale, etc.). Both dry and liquid yeast.

Could it be that airiation (or lack thereof) is the issue? I shake the crap out of my carboy before adding yeast. I mean really, really shake it. Is that enough?

Fermentation temps are around 70 deg usually.

Any other ideas. Or is this even a "problem"?

Are the ambient temps in the room around 70, or is the beer itself that warm? Fermentation will generate its own heat and drive that up.

What is your final gravity like on these?

Also, you're making styles that are lower in gravity, and that might be all the activity you'll see. They might still be working even if you don't see any activity, so you should still give them time, but you might not see a whole lot of movement.

If you are shaking it, pitching a proper amount of yeast, and fermenting that warm, i'd expect as such.

The speed isn't a problem at all -- I think people look into fermentation time and lag time waaaay too much.

Eventually you'll want to truly aerate/oxygenate the wort and reduce the temperature...but your short times are nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back