Considerations when purchasing a home RO system.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
For years I brewed using RO water. Living in the country using well water I thought that my safest option. I need in access of 20 gallons per brew day due to my brewing capacity. I want to be able to brew two times a month. Therefore, I would like to have the capacity to prepare 50 gallons a month in my home.

Conditions: I would set up an RO system in my garage. I need not worry about freezing.

What do I need to know to purchase an inexpensive unit for my application. What questions must I be prepared to ask?

thanks

Depending on your source water characteristics you may be able to simply obtain an appropriately sized RO system, figure out how to plumb it in your garage, and brew happily ever after :) Otoh, there can be cases where the source water favors the use of a softener - both for the general household potable water quality, and to feed an RO system to prolong membrane life.

If you have a solid water test report in hand I recommend starting a "Conversation" with HBT member Russ @Buckeye_Hydro and see what he thinks. He helped me set up my 100 gpd system which allows me to load up my 10 gallon batch brew rig with the typical 18 gallons of water used (herms) in under five hours the evening before brew days.

If you don't have a solid "brewer's water test" in hand, I recommend using Wards Labs W-501 test - and send your sample in a half-filled 8 ounce mini water bottle rather than pay for their kit...

Cheers!

“If you have a solid water test report in hand I recommend starting a "Conversation" with HBT member Russ @Buckeye_Hydro and see what he thinks. He helped me set up my 100 gpd system which allows me to load up my 10 gallon batch brew rig with the typical 18 gallons of water used (herms) in under five hours the evening before brew days.”

Thanks Day-Tripper. Russ has made connection with me. I will be updating my Wards analysis. From there I will look at various options.

Back