Conifers' Build Thread, here we go!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConiferAles

Reaction score
Well, I'll doubtless have too many questions, too many beers, and not enough money, but a guy's gotta start somewhere... Right?

I've been mainly lurking on here for about the last year or so and I want to thank all of those willing to spend they're time sharing their knowledge here, and all of those willing to make mistakes and keep going.

Though there are now countless build threads, hopefully my road while teaching me the ropes of AG brewing will help others understand it as well, hell, maybe I'll even have fun doing it...

#1. Welding is fun. I just bought a small Lincoln 140HD that'll do flux core or MIG, and I'm already hooked. Here's my first attempt at fusing metal with electricity:

IMG_8912.jpg

IMG_8913.jpg

I'll be doing a 2-tier setup because I'd like to only use one pump, and I figure why not just use gravity to drain the MLT into the BK? Is there any reason that having a pump is more beneficial?

IMG_8909.jpg

I've been doing partial mash for a few years now, and it has been long overdue to make the step to AG for quite a while, so I figured I'd do it right. More to come tomorrow, I plan to get most if not all of the stand built by the end of the day...

Alright, question: In researching my burner options here, I've pretty much decided to go with 3 banjo burners, and I was thinking that I would go with a BG14 each for the HLT and BK, and a smaller 6" BG10 for the MLT. I have insulated my MLT pretty well, and I don't even really plan to need the burner under there, except if I ever want to try a step mash, or if I want to upgrade to a direct fired RIMS, HERMS, etc. So, does the control-ability exist with a 10" BG14 burner to use it underneath an MLT? My concern is that it might burn the insulation, hence wanting the smaller burner. Thoughts?

I was gonna get the 3 burner set from Keg Cowboy with the 40 psi regulator. Do most of you use just one regulator out of the LP tank, and adjust flame via individual gas valves for each burner? I know that some people use the ASCO valves in more automated systems, and though I don't think I want that level of automation, I do want the room to grow into it if I get the wild hair you know where. Which I tend to. So, anything I can do now to potentially facilitate for growth later on I want to do. What is the function of ASCO's? do they regulate gas flow? Or are they simply an on and off kind of thing?

Also, the BG14 burners from agri supply say they are rated at 100,000BTU, and the same ones from Keg cowboy specify 210,000BTU, is this difference simply a product of regulated pressure?

Thanks!

Thats all I use, you can always buy 2 more regulators and hook them up in series later down the road if you want.

Anyone have answers for me on my previous questions?

Build update:
0b0fb05c.jpg

e004933c.jpg

bf440eba.jpg

One of the first welds:
d928832d.jpg

One of the last welds:
a238cd6e.jpg

Welding is dangerous, I find myself wanting to fuse random inanimate objects together throughout my days. Man is it fun, I've been a woodworker for most of my life, and metal isn't all that different, just another way of measuring, cutting, and fitting a material together...

Waiting on burners and the pump then I'll begin plumbing!

Also, the BG14 burners from agri supply say they are rated at 100,000BTU, and the same ones from Keg cowboy specify 210,000BTU, is this difference simply a product of regulated pressure?

Thanks!

Bump!!!

What other hardware would be required to hook the burners up from agrisupply to gas ball valves? (aside from yellow gas supply hoses). Does anyone know if they come with the brass orifices? Air disks? They're $5 cheaper per burner, but if I have to buy extra hardware then I'll just go with keg cowboy's kit. Thanks.

I have the same welder, converted to mig. Works really well for most home hobby use. Your welds are improving nicely, BTW.

I can't help with the burner questions, but can with the pump question. I have a single tier system with three pumps and hard lines. You can easily get away with only one pump, I just didn't want to mess with connecting/disconnecting lines to go from one vessel to the next, and didn't want to lift any full vessels. You'll just need to figure out how to get the wort from your bk to your fermentor.

Nice work on your stand! It looks great!

Thanks man, I'm just gonna use two valves each on the inlet and outlet to designate either HLT > MLT, or BK > Fermentor. Might even go with 3-way normally closed solenoids and have one switch that controls the first function, another for the second, with ball valves on the outlets to control flow. Makes using one pump pretty easy, they're expensive, and I don't really need two.

Anxiously awaiting the mailmen now, I just opted to go with the keg cowboy setup...

Back