Conical fermentors, specifically the blichman ones.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHammer16

Reaction score
Does any one own one? I am thinking about getting a 7 gallon. Is it worth the money? Does it save time / frustration? What is the differance between the triclamp fittings and the standard fittings?

triclamp allows it to hold pressure so you can use a CO2 system to push the beer out of the fermenter and don't have to put it up high and use gravity to get the beer out.

Additionally get the 14 gallon fermenter, if you ever upgrade to 10 gallon batches, you will be kicking yourself for not spending the extra 100 bucks.

What happens when you drain off the yeast ? Wouldn't this create negative pressure in the top ? Do u need to open a valve at the top ?

kappclark said:
What happens when you drain off the yeast ? Wouldn't this create negative pressure in the top ? Do u need to open a valve at the top ?

There's a weighted pressure relief unit on top of the lid simply pull that out when you drain the fermenter.

I completely agree with Donasay don't buy the 7 gal. unit, the 14 gal. is the only way to go IMO.

Will the 14 gallon fit into a standard refridge? Wait i suppose i could measure myself, i have the damn dimensions here in front of me. 20 x20x31.5

So you are saying i cant pressure transferr with the standard fittings? I thought the tri clamp were just easier to dissassemble for cleaning.

What about the head space left for a 5 gall. batch in a 14 gallon fermentor, is that a problem? Seems like alot of headspace.

AHammer16 said:
Will the 14 gallon fit into a standard refridge? Wait i suppose i could measure myself, i have the damn dimensions here in front of me. 20 x20x31.5

So you are saying i cant pressure transferr with the standard fittings? I thought the tri clamp were just easier to dissassemble for cleaning.

What about the head space left for a 5 gall. batch in a 14 gallon fermentor, is that a problem? Seems like alot of headspace.

Get the triclamp fittings and purge with CO2 if you are worried, the co2 made during fermentation should fill up that space and force out any extra air.

I have a 14.5 gallon Fermenator that works like a charm. Makes harevesting yeast a cinch, saves me a extra time with clean up. I only need to clean up the conical as opposed to a 17.5 gallon primary fermeting bucket, and two five gallon carboys for secondary fermentation.
Racking beer to kegs has never been easier. I highly recommend one if you can afford it.

I am salivating over this supposed tax rebate, and am now looking at conicals...

A few conical questions:

Can you do 5 gal batches in the 14.5 gallon conical ?

How long, on average, would you keep a "garden variety" ale in the conical before transferring to keg ?

What is bes method for maintaining a consistent temp for the fermenter ? Refrig or freezer ?

Finally - how do u transfer 10 gals of brew to the fermenter ? Chances are the fermemnter isn't gonna be moving after fillup

THX all..

Back