conical fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine has one of those - they only sell thru eBay. He hasn't had any issues w/the 1/2 dump port. That would be my biggest concern but sounds like it's just a matter of dumping more often, before everything gels up. http://conical-fermenter.com/ is the other alternative - similar but with tri-clamps and a slightly larger dump valve. Wish there was an east-coast distributor to reduce the shipping.

A friend of mine has one of those - they only sell thru eBay. He hasn't had any issues w/the 1/2 dump port. That would be my biggest concern but sounds like it's just a matter of dumping more often, before everything gels up. http://conical-fermenter.com/ is the other alternative - similar but with tri-clamps and a slightly larger dump valve. Wish there was an east-coast distributor to reduce the shipping.

those seem like better quality than the link I posted, I would think the tri-clamp would be better than the screw on ball valves.

Remember, you get what you pay for... That seems awful cheap for what it is. Just because you save a bunch of money doesn't mean you got a good deal... I'd save up and go for one of these bad boys:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_464&products_id=11231

I dunno, that has ball valves and weldless fittings.

You can get a welded conical with butterfly valves from B3 for slightly more, it also has some other nicer features.

Butterfly valves are clearly the right valve for this application as they can be cleaned without taking them apart and you do not need to fine level of flow control afforded by a ball valve. They are usually cheaper too, it's kind of a no brainer.

My wife would **it a brick if I spent that kind of money... do you think those are worth that much more... I could by 2 of the other ones for that price.

Everything Blichmann I've ever bought has been awesome, though I have yet to make the jump to stainless conicals.

I would just hate to spend $200 bucks on something that was a PITA to clean and sanitize, or that was falling apart in a few years...not that those are, I just cant imagine that the price difference is only for the name.

You could just buy 8 more carboys for the same $$! Thats a lot more beer making potential!

I dunno, that has ball valves and weldless fittings.

You can get a welded conical with butterfly valves from B3 for slightly more, it also has some other nicer features.

Butterfly valves are clearly the right valve for this application as they can be cleaned without taking them apart and you do not need to fine level of flow control afforded by a ball valve. They are usually cheaper too, it's kind of a no brainer.

do you have a link to these?

If you use bing search and search for conical stainless steel fermenters it will link you to the ebay listing and you will get 8% back. thats almost 20$.. now I am really tempted.......

I've been checking this website also; I like the looks of these despite having the legs welded on. I really like having the pressurized top. Not sure anything's happening there though...
http://www.chicompany.net/conical-fermenters-257/?zenid=dbf67b16dde983df52c7ff2d4b3f8207

Matt has a thread running on here about those. Bump it up and see what he has to say!

Why would you want a pressurized fermenter??? I thought you want to let gas out, not keep it in.........

What does yeast produce when it eats sugar? Alcohol and CO2, what do you do to carbonate beer? Pressurize the beer with CO2.

more_you_know1.jpg

If your beer is gonna drop a few gravity points after you've dumped your trub, seal off your pressurizable fermenter and let the conical speed up the end of the job for you! :D :D

Cheers (check out family guy if you dont get the picture!)

Out of curiosity, do you have to do anything differently with a conical compared to the ol' bucket? I've seen a couple posts about dumping more often... what's that about? I assumed that you would just let the beer ferment and use the upper valve to transfer the beer to the secondary or bottling bucket and the lower was for dumping the trub when you are finished, as compared to dumping the bucket.

Out of curiosity, do you have to do anything differently with a conical compared to the ol' bucket? I've seen a couple posts about dumping more often... what's that about? I assumed that you would just let the beer ferment and use the upper valve to transfer the beer to the secondary or bottling bucket and the lower was for dumping the trub when you are finished, as compared to dumping the bucket.

No, you dump the trub once it has settled and then the yeast after primary fermentation.

If you are of the school of thought that the entire volume of yeast should be in the fermenter 2 weeks after fermentation finishes to "clean up" there is no point in getting a conical.

The original post was asking about 7.2 gallon conicals on eBay, and someone thought they were the same as the Stout Tanks and Kettles fermenters sold at www.conical-fermenter.com. They're not.

They are not the same, although we also sell ours on eBay at times. The 7.2 gallon fermenters that the post started with don't have the tri-clamps and sanitary valves that are always included in the Stout Tanks fermenters, among other things.

We also offer 14.5G as regular items and larger ones (20G, 23G, 27G, 40G, etc.) as special order items.

The original post was asking about 7.2 gallon conicals on eBay, and someone thought they were the same as the Stout Tanks and Kettles fermenters sold at www.conical-fermenter.com. They're not.

They are not the same, although we also sell ours on eBay at times. The 7.2 gallon fermenters that the post started with don't have the tri-clamps and sanitary valves that are always included in the Stout Tanks fermenters, among other things.

We also offer 14.5G as regular items and larger ones (20G, 23G, 27G, 40G, etc.) as special order items.

So,
What makes your stout tanks better? besides the tri clamp. Not trying to be a smart ass, just wondering.

kwaidonjin,

The things that make our Stout Tanks and Kettles products high quality are:

• very clean and smooth welds
  • sanitary valves that are designed to be disassembled each time and cleaned (have you ever taken apart an industrial ball valve after it has been used for some time? - you will be surprised at the gunk that builds up in the body of the valve where you can't see it without taking it apart)
  • all stainless steel valves, including the ball (butterfly valves optional)
  • no threaded fittings that would touch the beer
  • easy to clean right in your kitchen sink (7.3 gallon size)
  • overall weight and sturdiness (1.2mm thick 304SS for the fermenter, and heavier for larger fermenters)
  • includes sanitary SS hose barb with tri-clamp fitting

I'm not making any direct comparisons with other products, but am simply pointing out what I feel are the main quality attributes of our fermenters.

Cheers,

John

kwaidonjin,

The things that make our Stout Tanks and Kettles products high quality are:

• very clean and smooth welds
  • sanitary valves that are designed to be disassembled each time and cleaned (have you ever taken apart an industrial ball valve after it has been used for some time? - you will be surprised at the gunk that builds up in the body of the valve where you can't see it without taking it apart)
  • all stainless steel valves, including the ball (butterfly valves optional)
  • no threaded fittings that would touch the beer
  • easy to clean right in your kitchen sink (7.3 gallon size)
  • overall weight and sturdiness (1.2mm thick 304SS for the fermenter, and heavier for larger fermenters)
  • includes sanitary SS hose barb with tri-clamp fitting

I'm not making any direct comparisons with other products, but am simply pointing out what I feel are the main quality attributes of our fermenters.

Cheers,

John

sounds good, thanks for the info.

Back