Conical dry hopping - Want to bottle but hops have not settled.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markk308

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to brewing and currently using a Fastferment conical.
I dry hopped 3 oz on Monday and I would like to bottle tomorrow, Saturday to get the most out of my dry hops (I've read 5-7 days is the ideal length of time for dry hopping).

My problem is that I have a layer of hops still sitting on top of the beer that has not settled yet. I don't have the ability to cold crash.

Should I wait another few days for it to settle?
Can I just bottle my beers and rely on cold conditioning to settle the hops with the yeast?
Should I filter the beer? If so, will a muslin bag work?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

if a fast ferment racks from the bottom then just avoid the hops. You can boil a hop sock and put it over your racking tube to filter out particles as well. They will also settle in the bottle over time.

if a fast ferment racks from the bottom then just avoid the hops. You can boil a hop sock and put it over your racking tube to filter out particles as well. They will also settle in the bottle over time.

Filtering using a muslin bag won't have any effect on the yeast I need to carb my bottles will it?

Use a hop sock next time with a few marbles on it. Boil or soak it and the marbles first. Will weight it down so it doesn't float and then you don't have a mess to deal with.

Use a hop sock next time with a few marbles on it. Boil or soak it and the marbles first. Will weight it down so it doesn't float and then you don't have a mess to deal with.

How would I dig it out of the conical?

How would I dig it out of the conical?

Never used the fast ferment just brewtech conical so just open the lid. From looking at the fast ferment though you could just tie a line to it (sanitized) and then screw the lid on to hold the line. Ive heard of fishing mono line used before and when I tie by fruit bags in wine i use butchers twine that I've first boiled and then soaked in star san. Then just pull the line up when you're finished and pull it through the mouth. I would think you could also get it out after fermentation and it's drained by flipping it upside down and grabbing it with tongs or something through the mouth.

Back