Conical dry hopping - Want to bottle but hops have not settled.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markk308

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to brewing and currently using a Fastferment conical.
I dry hopped 3 oz on Monday and I would like to bottle tomorrow, Saturday to get the most out of my dry hops (I've read 5-7 days is the ideal length of time for dry hopping).

My problem is that I have a layer of hops still sitting on top of the beer that has not settled yet. I don't have the ability to cold crash.

Should I wait another few days for it to settle?
Can I just bottle my beers and rely on cold conditioning to settle the hops with the yeast?
Should I filter the beer? If so, will a muslin bag work?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

if a fast ferment racks from the bottom then just avoid the hops. You can boil a hop sock and put it over your racking tube to filter out particles as well. They will also settle in the bottle over time.

if a fast ferment racks from the bottom then just avoid the hops. You can boil a hop sock and put it over your racking tube to filter out particles as well. They will also settle in the bottle over time.

Filtering using a muslin bag won't have any effect on the yeast I need to carb my bottles will it?

Use a hop sock next time with a few marbles on it. Boil or soak it and the marbles first. Will weight it down so it doesn't float and then you don't have a mess to deal with.

Use a hop sock next time with a few marbles on it. Boil or soak it and the marbles first. Will weight it down so it doesn't float and then you don't have a mess to deal with.

How would I dig it out of the conical?

How would I dig it out of the conical?

Never used the fast ferment just brewtech conical so just open the lid. From looking at the fast ferment though you could just tie a line to it (sanitized) and then screw the lid on to hold the line. Ive heard of fishing mono line used before and when I tie by fruit bags in wine i use butchers twine that I've first boiled and then soaked in star san. Then just pull the line up when you're finished and pull it through the mouth. I would think you could also get it out after fermentation and it's drained by flipping it upside down and grabbing it with tongs or something through the mouth.

Latest posts

Back