Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the normal response I guess. I drink a lot of craft beers, but I drink a lot of BMC as well. Sometimes I will even pass on a 'good beer' to drink the 'blech' beers.

That's my confession I guess. I drank enough bud light last year to fill a swimming pool. I'm not ashamed. Today was 105 degrees. I was in the sun all day. I didn't want the lagunitas maximus I have on ice. I didn't want the homebrew either... I wanted the bud light I had on ice. Several in fact.

That's me, pretty often. If I'm busting my hump out in the TX heat, the last thing I want is a big hoppy or malty beer...maybe later that night, but not while I still have sweating to do. Miller Lite is more refreshing than gatorade. I just discovered shandys though, after years of total disinterest in citrus flavored beer, so Leinenkugel's may be my new Miller.

I drink Olvi(finnish basic lager) when in sauna, because it can be drunk from the bottle without faffing about with glassware.

For hot days i have a homebrewed basic white beer though.

I did not read this entire thread, but I am going to post in it anyway.

I often add chilled distilled water to my "almost-full boils" to get fermentation volume to 5.5 gallons, and to help chill to under 70.

That's me, pretty often. If I'm busting my hump out in the TX heat, the last thing I want is a big hoppy or malty beer...maybe later that night, but not while I still have sweating to do. Miller Lite is more refreshing than gatorade. I just discovered shandys though, after years of total disinterest in citrus flavored beer, so Leinenkugel's may be my new Miller.

Ran into one of the owners yesterday and he asked if I was brewing up any Shandies, I just told him "No, my wife doesn't like beer."

I still use a mash pad in my 10 gallon round cooler setup.

I guess that's been out of fashion for 10-15 years, but it works for me and the issue of it being food safe was settled a very long time ago by John Palmer.

What's a mash pad?

They're nylon pads that are about 3/4" thick that goes on the bottom of the mash tun to serve as a filter -- much like the stainless steel braids that a lot of folks use now, but they cover the entire false bottom.

I like mash pads better because they have more surface area for filtration and they eliminate the need for any kid of vorlauf.

Umm let's see I started when I was 18, relax that was now 19 years ago, and in all fairness there was no craft beer available in Texas at that time.

I have never entered a competition, or joined a club.

I am a cheap bastage.... But does that really count in this hobby?:drunk:

Oh and I still get a smile every time I open my copy of "the complete joy of homebrewing"

Guess that's been out of fashion for 10-15 years, but it works for me and the issue of it being food safe was settled a very long time ago by John Palmer.
I still use a Phil Mill II and HAND GRIND my grain for 10 gallon batches, Remember those? Single knurled roller and an adjustable plate. Yeah...I'm old school.

for those too young, this can STILL produce a perfect crush or 75% flour for BIAB...your call.

I've only been brewing for a couple of years, about 60 batches, and I've never made anything quaffable. Maybe I don't know how to quaff?

If you've got 60 batches done in two years, I think you're making something quaffable.

60 x 5 = 300 gallons ...
300 gallons x 128 ounces = 38,400 ounces or 4,800 pints ...
4,800 / 730 days = 6.5 pints per day ...

:tank:

After deciding my spreadsheet was properly estimating the OG, I just assume that it's correct enough for my purposes. I just estimate alcohol as (OG-1)*100, so 1.040 = 4%, for example.

Bonus: After finding Fermentis S-04 and S-05 yeast for $1/pack, I no longer make starters. I just sprinkle it on top of the wort.

Extra bonus: I brew double strength wort and add it to the fermenting buckets, and top them off with straight hose water. (I live in the remote mountains and my tap water is incredibly yummy, even though chlorinated).

After deciding my spreadsheet was properly estimating the OG, I just assume that it's correct enough for my purposes. I just estimate alcohol as (OG-1)*100, so 1.040 = 4%, for example.

Bonus: After finding Fermentis S-04 and S-05 yeast for $1/pack, I no longer make starters. I just sprinkle it on top of the wort.

Extra bonus: I brew double strength wort and add it to the fermenting buckets, and top them off with straight hose water. (I live in the remote mountains and my tap water is incredibly yummy, even though chlorinated).

I cannot handle the topping off with hose water part. At all.

hqdefault.jpg

If you've got 60 batches done in two years, I think you're making something quaffable.

60 x 5 = 300 gallons ...

Didn't check your math but I have had a little help! (with the drinking part)

My beer does taste very good (to me at least) but that word reminds me of a Southpark episode about a special female talent. :drunk:

60 x 5 = 300 gallons ...

60 5-gallon batches = 300 gallons
128 ounces in a gallon = 38,400 ounces
16 ounces in a pint = 2,400 pints
365 days per year for 2 years = 730 days
2,400 pints in 730 days = 3.28767 pints/day

...unless we are talking Imperial then...

160 ounces in a gallon = 48,000 ounces
20 ounces in a pint = 2,400 pints

I did all that work to find out that the pints/day is still the same, because I'm awesome. Just more beer per day. Not sure where the 4,800 pints came from instead of 2,400.

128 ounces in a gallon = 38,400 ounces
16 ounces in a pint = 2,400 pints

...unless we are talking Imperial then...

160 ounces in a gallon = 48,000 ounces
20 ounces in a pint = 2,400 pints

I did all that work to find out that the pints/day is still the same, because I'm awesome. Just more beer per day. Not sure where the 4,800 pints came from instead of 2,400.

Thanks! I was afraid I had a drinking problem there for a minute!

Just cleaned out one of my kegs for my next brew... it's had 3 beers through it without cleaning, figured it was time.

I never clean my mash tun. I just do a quick spray down. I probably should do a deep clean, grain particles are stuck on the bottom.

I never clean my mash tun. I just do a quick spray down. I probably should do a deep clean, grain particles are stuck on the bottom.

I do the same, though I throw in a dirty sponge that I use every time to wipe down the stuff that sticks so it looks somewhat clean

I do the same, though I throw in a dirty sponge that I use every time to wipe down the stuff that sticks so it looks somewhat clean

My kettle hasn't seen a spone, or any kind of cleaning solution other than water, since I got it. Granted that was 4 batches ago, but still.

I rarely drink my home brews. I get bored drinking the same thing over and over. I can rarely drink a 6-pack without getting bored with it. Because of this I give away a majority of beer.

I don't have the normal response I guess. I drink a lot of craft beers, but I drink a lot of BMC as well. Sometimes I will even pass on a 'good beer' to drink the 'blech' beers.

That's my confession I guess. I drank enough bud light last year to fill a swimming pool. I'm not ashamed. Today was 105 degrees. I was in the sun all day. I didn't want the lagunitas maximus I have on ice. I didn't want the homebrew either... I wanted the bud light I had on ice. Several in fact.

I actually agree with doug while I do enjoy a bunch of bmc I have also found that I can go from coors light to craft or home brew it's hard to go the opposite direction.

That being said I like to enjoy craft beer and I always drink it out of a glass so if I'm looking to have a beer 10 min before I go to bed or do something I reach for the coors light. And I take coors light fishing, don't want to drop a beer glass to the bottom of the lake lol

I rarely drink my home brews. I get bored drinking the same thing over and over. I can rarely drink a 6-pack without getting bored with it. Because of this I give away a majority of beer.

This seems like an enormous waste of time and money.

Only if you want to view it that way. I love the process, I love sharing what I make, and I love spending time with my friends around the pot. I'm making others happy with my beer.

I'll traditionally keep about a quarter of the beer I make, and then the rest is distributed around to friends and family.

Not if he enjoys the homebrewing process. Just like other artists and craftsmen, maybe he finds enjoyment in making something that others enjoy.

Edit: Wow. I'm in that dude's head.

Not if he enjoys the homebrewing process. Just like other artists and craftsmen, maybe he finds enjoyment in making something that others enjoy.

Edit: Wow. I'm in that dude's head.

My head is a scary place, you don't want to be here!

Back