Confession time: would you buy the beer(s) you have brewed in a bar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would NOT buy the beers I brewed in a bar. I'm sure that by time they were done and ready to serve I'd be so sick of sampling them I'd not care anymore.

If someone else brewed my beers in a bar, I might buy one just to see if they got it right.

;)

Some yes, some no. I think my Saisons have been as good or better than most commercial versions I've tried. My recent grapefruit wheat was also excellent.

I'm still working on really nailing APA/IPA's but having just moved to kegging I'm hoping the IPA I just kegged will turn out well once it's carbed up. Hopefully those will start falling in the "I would totally pay for this" camp soon.

The standard I judge my beer by is "would I pay money for this?". If it's worth money, then I did a good job making it. If not, time to refine recipe and/or process.

The standard I judge my beer by is "would I pay money for this?". If it's worth money, then I did a good job making it. If not, time to refine recipe and/or process.

I do the same... yet I do question my perception given the fact that I might either be to critical or to proud of my achievement

Some yes, some no. I think my Saisons have been as good or better than most commercial versions I've tried. My recent grapefruit wheat was also excellent.

I'm still working on really nailing APA/IPA's but having just moved to kegging I'm hoping the IPA I just kegged will turn out well once it's carbed up. Hopefully those will start falling in the "I would totally pay for this" camp soon.

grapefruit wheat sounds very appealing to me :)

Really interesting thread. I am a beer drinker that will try anything that I haven't had before in a bar, but when I brew, I brew recipes and styles for me. I would say that about 80% of the beers that I have made, I would buy in a bar, but I have not made the same recipe twice to date. I made a Gingerbread Brown ale that ended up tasting exactly like it was supposed to, but I didn't like it. That was the one beer I brewed for the season and not to my tastes. Anyone who tried it that liked gingerbread thought it was really good, but I wasn't a fan. I also did the Strawberry Alarm Clock recipe that is on here but got diacetyl and struggled to get through that keg.

I made a Peach Habanero Ale last fall that I would drink over almost any pepper beer that I have had, and I have gotten awesome reviews. I plan on making that one again this fall with a few small tweaks.

I try everything - also I can say I do not like at least 90% of what I did try.
I used to be utterly simple in my beer taste: Augustiner Helles on Tap (Period) that was it. I did not care for anything else too much. Also I drank it.
So moving to the US - who would have thought - indeed expanded my horizon...

Living up to my word. The latest batch wasn't good when I kegged it. I let it rest a month. It's still not good. I'll probably let it stay in the fridge until I need the space, but if it doesn't improve significantly, it's going down the back hill.

I would buy all of my different pale ales, my oatmeal stout and my smoked cherry porter. They are nothing earth shattering but they are solid and very tasty. For clarification though, these are what I brew most often. Some of the cream ales, wheats and such are acceptable but I wouldn't order a second one. Not because they were bad, they were just ok beers. I've had a few dumpers as well, mostly oxidation or infection from stupidity.

3 of them I would definitely buy, the other 20 or so were decent, but nothing mind blowing.

1) Post Punk Pale Ale
2) Northern Brewer's St Paul Porter (technically not my recipe)
3) White Wine Oaked Pale Ale

<mindless typing>

Depends on cost..I've made a couple that I'd pay $4 for a pint.

Gotta look at the math. I'm a small spender, $10 for a 2 hour movie is a waste of time for me. I'd rather spend $5 for a day at a state park or $20 for a day at a renn fest than $10-$100+ for an hour of more active/modern/adrenaline-based recreation. I'll consider my cost of recreation very cheap, say $2/hour. Now consider my brew days normally become full on outdoor relaxation days. Last brew day was Sunday, 90 minute mash & 90 minute boil for a saison was a long brew day, but I stretched brew & cleaning to 9 hours. Grilled salmon for lunch, car was at some point, steaks for dinner, chilling outside for a while. Cost of propane + ingredients + food is about $35, rec value at my $2/hour is $18, net cost $17 for 40 pints. To me this saison cost me $0.42/pint. But if it turns out good (and you bet your ass it will), I'd gladly pay $4-$6 at a bar for it, but need to figure that I could subtract my ingredient/consumable cost from it, so say $3.50 - $5.50.

I've lost my train of thought, but overall yes. Motueka + Citra IPA I made a couple years back was flatout passionfruit & awesome and a taste I've never gotten elsewhere, raging ***** clone got me a bronze a few years back & was also amazing, then a couple of saisons that have gotten me golds that I'd easily pay $5 for a drink. Now if I were asked to pay $8, that would be a different story.

</mindless typing>

- would you go to a bar to buy the beer you brew?
Yes, I would buy the ones that have turned out to what I was shooting for. They are usually very good tasting and look good in a glass.

- Have you ever brewed anything, that, if offered in a bar you would not order again, yet you drank it anyway?
For sure! New recipes I come up with that are sub-par I drink because I try to only drink the beer I brew so I know going into it that I have to drink the whole batch if it turns out weird. It's still beer and "free" beer always tastes good! If it's infected or just tastes like there's something bad with it I'll dump it but this has only happened to me 2 times. Once from bad water and once from fermentation temps that got out of control.

- how do you rate your success in general in terms of "great beer"
I think I brew pretty darn good beer which is why I can just drink the beer I brew. I've been at it for over 4 years now and I have a pretty good idea on how to make good beer. I'd say 8/10 batches are great and could probably be sold. The other 2 are still drinkable but are prototypes and wouldn't give it to someone who's never had my beer before.

The first few beers I brewed, no way would I pay for those. In fact I kinda feel bad that I asked folks to drink those at this point ;)

Since then though things have steadily gotten better. I feel like I've gotten my pale ales and IPAs down to the point that I'm actually disappointed oftentimes when I go to the bar and wind up with something that doesn't taste as good as what I could make at home.

Both my long-term and short-term sours are really good, but I feel like I've still got a ways to go there with lots to learn.

Stouts and saisons I still feel like I've not brewed something that I've been really wowed by at this point, but that doesn't keep me from trying again.

I also try really hard to drink all of the beer I brew, even if it's not really stellar. It gives me plenty of opportunity to try and figure out where I went wrong or what I could do differently the next time.

No, I wouldn't buy my beers from a bar.

I'm working to develop a recipe that I would, though.

Without a doubt, I would absolutely buy some of the beers I have brewed. IMO, some of my beers are the best beers I have tasted. I brew mainly for my enjoyment & if friends/family enjoy it too, all the better. I don't brew for competitions so I'm not very objective in my assessment but again, I brew for me. I have been brewing for 5+ years & although I have brewed many different styles, my first priority was brewing something I wanted to drink and with careful note taking, I work through issues & problems to try & produce great tasting beer.

Not yet, no. I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor but I'm biased because I've created it. I'm only grading my beers as "Drinkable" at present.

I'm 8 batches in, tasted 6 of them. So far only the pale recipe has had me go "this is actually pretty good beer" an been willing to share beyond my brother and dad. The rest have had detectable off tastes and one possible infection. The Pale was fruity and delicious and disappeared so damn fast.

It also helped that pale ale is my favourite style. My next favourite, Irish Red has gone terribly, the most recent being the possible infection- I dumped a six pack because I needed bottles the other day. I'll try to drink the rest by cutting it with some commercial beer, or I may give up on it if it gets worse.

I've been brewing for almost a year and have done about 20 batches, out of those there are 3 I'd pay money for in a bar.

1. The Heady Clone (my most recent batch). It's a pretty solid DIPA with a wonderful aroma and hop character, the only thing I'd change is add a little more bitterness.

2. Ol' Bitter Bastard ESB (about 3 batches ago) -- I somewhat changed the recipe based on the malts and hops I had and upped the gravity quite a bit, but when this Gleneagles floor malted Maris Otter brew was in it's prime, I had to pace myself on it or I might have drank it exclusively.

3. Apfelwein -- I made this 3 months ago, instead of using corn sugar, I upped the ABV by adding a few cans of apple concentrate. The result is a very tart and dry apple wine which I absolutely love. Although I might be alone on this one because everyone who's tried this batch hated it.

Beyond these three I wouldn't brew again or pay money for any other batch I've made.

When I stopped focusing on crazy beers and went back to brewing traditional styles my beers went to another level. Now not all of my beers are perfect but rarely do I have to pour any out!

Some of the better ones lately would be a honey wheat, Vienna lager, Bock, and a saison. Those would all be worthy of a local pub.

Absolutely, as would the people who try them. People know me to be brutally honest and know that I respect the same. They tell me if a beer isn't up to snuff. I've had beers that I don't particularly care for style wise, but others have loved. I always try to separate personal taste from competence. We brewery hop around the country www.twobrewdogs.com and I have therefore tasted many different brews at their source. I would put mine up against them any day and would honestly say mine are better than half.

Most of the APAs and IPAs I've brewed I would definitely buy. Most Porters as well. The one Old Chubb clone I did for sure. Out of the Belgians, I'd say maybe just 1 out 5 or so I've made. Finally my El Camino strong black ale is priceless:rockin::p

Full disclosure: I wouldn't spend a dime on my recent imperial red ale. That's one experiment gone wrong for sure.:(

Bars wouldn't be able to keep my Dry Irish Stout in stock...I think and I've been told it's that good. A couple of my MO SMaSH APAs (Centennial and Mosaic) have been outstanding.

The rest...probably not, but they're still typically better than a lot of the swill that's typically on tap around these parts.

Back