Confession Time - Crap Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 12 pack of PBR for about 50 cents a can days ago I think there is a few left in the beer fridge. If I want a cheap beer I prefer PBR, Schaeffer or Shlitz. I just can't pay more for BMC with even less flavor

When we were in Hilton Head this last summer, I confess to purposefully putting a case of Landshark Lager in the condo fridge. I don't know what else to say.

So seeing the discussion in "Beginners" on making Bud Lime clones and being astounded to see A-B mentioned without a string of epithets following I have decided to fess up to drinking crap beer. During summer I like something cold and innocuous to chug when I get home from work and fire up the BBQ. At these times my choice is always Miller High Life. :rockin:

Whenever I've tried Buttwiper (people leave it after parties, honest) I get a hangover without actually getting drunk. Coors, MGD, et al all taste like ass. I do like an occasional Corona, but the thing with High Life is it's super cheap, doesn't get me drunk if I consume three in as many minutes and really doesn't taste enough of anything to be bad. :D

So what's the lowest credibility brew you actually enjoy consuming when the occasion is right?

My beer of choice is McEwan's Scotch Ale, when I can't get it, I'll go for a celebrator doppelbock. If I can't get something comprable to those, I either drink water, or order a kamikazee. Regards, GF.

I love me some Stag. Though I haven't had it since I lived in slower, lower Illinois...

It did give me nasty-@ss gas the next day, though...

But for a buck a can at the local dive; and playing ship, captain crew for hours on end - it was the best.

*beeeelch*
Michael

I started with Coors because that's what my dad drank, then moved to Coors light because that's what my roommate drank. Then when I started traveling for a living, I switched to Budweiser, because that's what you can get on tap ANYWHERE!

Since then, I've learned to drink 'darker' beers like Killian's, Fat Tire, and Guinness. And I love apple cider.

But truth be known, my staple drink is Budweiser and tequila. Don't know why, but that's what I'm most comfortable with if I'm in the mood for 'DRINKIN'!'

I started with Coors because that's what my dad drank, then moved to Coors light because that's what my roommate drank. Then when I started traveling for a living, I switched to Budweiser, because that's what you can get on tap ANYWHERE!

Since then, I've learned to drink 'darker' beers like Killian's, Fat Tire, and Guinness. And I love apple cider.

But truth be known, my staple drink is Budweiser and tequila. Don't know why, but that's what I'm most comfortable with if I'm in the mood for 'DRINKIN'!'

For the love of all that is good and holy, please say you don't mix Bud and tequila into the same glass.

Maybe we should do a Mixed 6 Blind taste test with Coors, Budweiser, Heineken, Miller, Pilsner Urquell, and Stella. I'm guessing I couldn't name them (I don't drink much of that style, in-fact I don't drink a lot of lagers either way) , but I'll bet I could Rate them!
I bet I could distinguish the imports from the domestics (by skunk alone), and if the Pilsner Urquell was well stored, I'm sure I could ID it (skunky, it'd be much more difficult). Side-by-side, BMC have individual subtleties, but I'd have a hard time naming the brand without looking at the label.

Sometimes I love grabbing the cheapest beer around and relaxing on a summer day. Schlitz, Hamm's, PBR, High Life...whatever's on sale!

If I have to go for any of the main 3 I will go for a Miller Light (I guess...)
I will say though I do still love Guinness from the tap.

When I lived in OK, EASILY the best beer for the money was something called "Lionshead Pilsner" (I have since moved and stocked so much homebrew that I don't really need to buy cheap beer) It was about $12 a case and blew away anything by BMC.

The Lion Brewery FTW! :D

I love me some Stegmaier or Lionshead. Didn't know they shipped to OK from PA. Hell, I have a hard time finding it around here sometimes. Dig http://www.lionbrewery.com/products.html for a lark.

Yuengling Premium is also often found in my fridge. Can't abide Yuengling Lager.

Bob

Dang, I can't get Yuengling here, but I really like the stuff. We did the brewery tour on our honeymoon. SWMBO had a minor car accident in the parking lot after we stopped at a liquor store to pick up a case of Yuengling to take home. She'll never let me live that one down. :p

My fav's have to be Stag, Huber ($6 for a 12 pack bottles ain't bad), PBR and Old Style. Stag is a recent finding and is imported from our trips down to St. Louis area to see the in laws. I would generally rather drink "old man beer" which has a bit more flavor in my mind than a lot of macros for tailgating and parties.

Maybe we should do a Mixed 6 Blind taste test with Coors, Budweiser, Heineken, Miller, Pillsner Urquel, and Stella. I'm guessing I couldn't name them (I don't drink much of that style, in-fact I don't drink a lot of lagers either way) , but I'll bet I could Rate them!
I love it when people ask for a Stella at a bar and think they are going high class.

Ask a Belgian what they think of Stella :cross:

Depends on where I am. If a friend offers me a Bud Light, etc. I'll drink one just out of respect for their hospitality. But if I'm at a restaurant where their idea of a "good selection" is Bud, Bud Light, Coors, Coors Light, MGD, Miller Lite, etc. I'll go non-alcoholic and make up for it when I get home. :)

Depends on where I am. If a friend offers me a Bud Light, etc. I'll drink one just out of respect for their hospitality. But if I'm at a restaurant where their idea of a "good selection" is Bud, Bud Light, Coors, Coors Light, MGD, Miller Lite, etc. I'll go non-alcoholic and make up for it when I get home. :)

+1 Ice tea if that's all they got.

Round baling hay, I put a 6'er of Silver Bullet cans in a PlayMate cooler, set that right beside the foot throttle in the tractor cab, and I'm good to go.

More than 6 bullets and the bales start coming out of the baler a little uneven. :p

With all due respect, I'm gonna have to call bullsh!t on this one....

Another non BMC drinker here.
Oh I've tried it. I tried it in high school, in college and more recently. Couldn't stand more than a taste of it. Thought I didn't like beer until I move to the Boston area for a while and was introduced to some good micro brews.

Now I like a wide variety of styles but still can't stand the an American lager.

My cheap beer is Guinness or Sam Adams, prefer Guinness but usually order water if they don't have anything better.

Craig

And you have that right. I have no way of proving I haven't, you have no way of proving I have. ;)

I didn't drink beer till I turned 21 (blackberry brandy was my swill of choice prior to being 21). The first beer put in front of me was a Yuengling. That's all the parties ever had in college (having gone to school in PA), I then moved to Texas where it was Shiner and then to the PacNW, where, well, we just have far to many outstanding choices to ever consider BMC. :fro:

For me I don't really like Yuengling but it is better than BMC and I have finished a bottle or two. Still won't pay money for it.

I would love to have a readily available selection like everyone says is in PacNW. However the local grocery does a pretty good job and a few miles away is a beer (and HBS) store that has as good of selection as I've seen. And a local chain has 100 different beers on the menu, most are fairly unusual.

Craig

Another non BMC drinker here.
Oh I've tried it. I tried it in high school, in college and more recently. Couldn't stand more than a taste of it. Thought I didn't like beer until I move to the Boston area for a while and was introduced to some good micro brews.

Now I like a wide variety of styles but still can't stand the an American lager.

My cheap beer is Guinness or Sam Adams, prefer Guinness but usually order water if they don't have anything better.

Craig

Sam Adams is not cheap...I love the Cream Stout and the Irish Red.

If Guinness was also cheap then why is a 12 pack almost $20.
Yes its an import but I would not call it cheap.

No they aren't cheap, but it's cheaper than what I prefer and more readily available.
Guinness and Sam are usually about $7/six pack and available in close to half the places that sell beer. Dogfish Head and Great Lakes are usually $9/sixer and quite a bit harder to find.

Actually, I usually look for the beer that I haven't tried before when picking up a beer from a bar or store.

Craig

Im sorry im not trying to say Guinness and Sam are these great amazing brews, what I am saying is that they are not cheap. To me B.M.C is cheap and there are a ton more cheap brews out there. I just consider Guinness an expensive import that is made by a huge brewery across seas. Sam in my mind is a wonderful craft brewer that has taken over brew sales across the county and in a few other countries. Im from Boston so I cant say to many bad things about Mr.Koch and his company.

My cheap beer of choice is Yuengling or Icehouse. Or you could always make a Nati-rona by shoving a lime in the bottle of your choice of cheap swill.

Unfortunately you don't have much choice at college. Luckily I had a friend who would always get a keg of Leinenkugel for his close friends when he threw a party.

I actually prefer the low-quality beers to supposed high-class brews. PBR, Schlitz, Hamm's, Old Style.

Although now that I live in Mississippi I can't find Hamm's or Old Style. Only a few places sell PBR and not in my beloved tall boys.

On a good note, the local Kroger just started carrying Schlitz.

Back in the good ole days when Walgreen's sold liquor, I could pick up a case of Schaeffer Light for $7.49. It was AWESOME.

Not only a decent beer at 31 cents a can...but they had absolutely a priceless jingle when I was growing up.

YouTube - Schaefer Beer Ad

Ahhh, those were the days, eh BierMuncher.

Nostalgic sigh. :)

Today, it's Tecate or Dos XX's for commercial beer. I buy Tecate by the case in cans and keep down in the barn fridge. I have water & beer there and it keeps SWMBO happy and hydrated.

The BMC of choice in Santa Barbara is undoubtedly Natty light or Keystone light... I'd take PBR ANY DAY over those and try to convince everyone else of its "superiority."

Oh, and anyone try LaCrosse? It's horrific... I swear each bottle tastes different... one smelled of strawberries, another of aluminum, another of cardboard... I could go on forever. Stay away!

Back