Conditioning with Brett C in a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Earlier this year Goose Island released a special edition Porter called Obadiah Poundage. They aged the first batch with Brett C in vats for 12 months then brewed a fresh batch and blended the two.

If I tried something similar I would have to do the aging in a corny keg. Would I need a spunding valve for this?

I've never used Brett before. I'm thinking the Brett would be added to the conditioning vessel (corny keg) after primary fermentation is complete in my regular fermenter. Is that accurate?

Most likely you would need a spunding valve yes. It depends on your Final Gravity but expect the Brett to get to at least 1.004.

If I tried something similar I would have to do the aging in a corny keg. Would I need a spunding valve for this?
Not necessarily but it's hard to predict in advance. Assuming you will be transferring unspunded beer to the conditioning vessel there is still quite a bit of CO2 that the Brett will have to produce before reaching full carbonation. The question is whether they will keep working past that point and how far they will go before giving up and that's quite impossible to predict in advance. The good news is that Brett works slowly in secondary and you might get away with just a manometer to periodically check pressure and if needed you could just vent excess CO2 through the PRV for as long as needed. A spunding valve is certainly a more hands-free kind of approach though.

Latest posts

Back