Conditioning temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarka

Reaction score
Hi,

I've made a batch of extract APA with Safale-05 yeast. It's getting pretty cold here in Sydney so I've put the fermenter on a heat pad and it's holding in the low 20s (celsius, ~70s F). I'm planning on leaving it in the primary for ~2-3 weeks before bottling. Is it necessary to keep it at that temperature for the whole time or can I let it drop down to the ambient temperature (~16c, 60F) after the initial fermentation is complete?

Thanks,
Steve

You will be just fine letting it naturally drop to around 60F once fermentation is complete, with US-05 probably a week to 10 days. You may find that this actually helps you to clarify the beer too, a sort of mini-cold-crash. Excellent question! :)

You will be just fine letting it naturally drop to around 60F once fermentation is complete, with US-05 probably a week to 10 days. You may find that this actually helps you to clarify the beer too, a sort of mini-cold-crash. Excellent question! :)
Thanks. Do people generally cold-crash during secondary or afterwards?

I try to drop the tempeture of my ale wort during the last couple of days on my secondary

All the remaining yeast cells drop to the bottom...and it makes life so much easier to transfer the wort into the keg

seems to me that you have your beer in good shape

Back