Conditioning Specifics...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4rdluck

Reaction score
So I have a belgian fermenting as we speak. I will hopefully be adding the candi sugar in a week or so once the fermentation starts to slow down.

Now I usually leave my beers in the primary 3-4 weeks as is to let the yeast clear up.

I was wondering if beer "Conditions" wether its stitting in the carboy or if it requires carbonation? Can I let my belgian "Condition for 2 months" in the carboy and then bottle it and let it "condition" a further 2 months? Or does beer really only "Condition" when its bottled and carbonated?

Basically is Carbonation required for conditioning beer...or is conditioning a process that really doesn't have anything to do with carbonation?

Like people who keg condition...do they typically carb the beer up immediately and then let it sit like that for a few months? or do they condition the keg by letting it sit around uncarbonated for a few months and then immediately carb it when they want to tap it and its ready to go?

You can leave it in the carboy. Conditioning basically means aging. It will age whether it is in a bottle carbonated or if it is still in the carboy.

I agree, I keg a brew, let it sit in the keg to condition and then carbonate a week or two before im ready to tap it.
there is no need for carbination to condition...just needs to sit around in a dark area around 70ish deg.

If you are doing a big beer, I recommend a month in primary, then rack to secondary for several months to bulk age (or condition) the beer. Then bottle and bottle condition for a few more months. I think a barelywine benefits for a good year of this. One month in primary, 5 in secondary, and 5 in bottles. Or something to that effect.

I agree, I keg a brew, let it sit in the keg to condition and then carbonate a week or two before im ready to tap it.
there is no need for carbination to condition...just needs to sit around in a dark area around 70ish deg.

Not quite...there is a good deal of conditioning that is done under pressure/carbonation....the CO2 really helps to scrub the beer clean of various things that could lead to off flavors......

Latest posts

Back