Conditioning in warmer temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJR

Reaction score
Hey gang,

With warmer weather upon us in Indiana, a question comes up. Are there bad things that can happen if you're bottle conditioning in warmer weather? I know that the guideline is 3 weeks at 70 degrees to achieve full carbonation, then a little longer to a lot longer to fully condition. But what about temps in the 80's? With no A/C in the house, I know temps in my pantry will hit 80 to 85. Will this cause problems with the beer? Should I move it all to the basement where it'll stay more in the 70's?

Thoughts? Anyone? Anyone?

I would definitely say the basement. I don't think 80+ will do good things for the yeast. Your basement probably stays darker too and a more constant temp.

Its funny, but I have the opposite problem at my house. SWMBO only lets me ferment in the basement, and it just now is getting above 60 average temp. I was able to secure a spot on top of the fridge for bottle conditioning though.

The pantry is my domain, so it's a convenient spot. On the other hand, the basement is also my domain, so it's just a matter of carrying the conditioning bottles down there. I guess that's what kids are made for, eh? :mug:

Latest posts

Back