conditioning - Bottling vs. Kegging ... green beer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treemind

Reaction score
Noob here, three batches in process... I tasted my first batch just two weeks into bottling yesterday, it was drinkable & not bad, the carbonation seemed good... but it tasted more like a semi sour German beer then a red ale. I am guessing it had that hard to describe "GREEN" taste you all talk about. I will wait another week or maybe two before seeing how it ages. (my wort prior to bottling did not have a sour taste at all... it was by all means a really good tasting red ale... but just totally flat.)

Meanwhile that brings me to my question. (Next month i plan to get a corney Keg kit and freezer.) I have read on here many times that to condition in a keg you can force carbonate and be done in a few days, maybe a week tops. IF that is the case, will the beer still have that 'green' taste to it?

How does force kegging somehow speed condition the beer to taste as if it has been in a bottle for a month or more in such a short time?

Is it advisable to keep future 'keg conditioned' beers in the primary and secondary a bit longer to condition there? or does that have nothing to do with the green taste?

Also, when i force carbonate will i want to do that in the freezer or just at room temps?

Last: when i get my little chest freezer, will the temperature regulator it comes with be sufficient to use for kegging? or do i need to get some other kind of over-riding temp regulation device? I plan on getting a cheap little freezer, like a 5.3 square foot job at Sams club or Lowes.

Thanks to everyone ahead of time for your helpful responses! Everyone has been extremely cool about giving good advice! I am loving the hobby and can't wait to get my keg process going!

1) Green beer taste should go away with time, but your mention of sour flavors makes me think you may have a wild strain of yeast in there.
2) You can carbonate faster using kegs, but it won't make it age faster
3) You can condition in kegs and use them as secondaries, so longer times in carboys isn't exactly necessary
4) You can force carb at room temp or cooler, although at coller temps, the process will occur faster

Thanks Parker.

So a wild strain of yeast? would that have happened like an infection?
Or could it have been because i pitched at a bit of high temp? (80 F)
or just the type of yeast i used for the batch, I believe a Muntons standard dry yeast.
It was my first batch, a kit that just came with the gear i bought.

Granted since that first batch i have used Wyeast smack packs 1056 american ale...

Like i said, it had no sour taste at all before going into bottles. So that is what makes me think the yeast is not done and fully present in the current bottled state.

Also it has been aging at about 64 F ... my basement may take a bit longer because it is kind of cool down there. But i have covered it in blankets to try to keep it warm enough to condition.

It is drinkable, just not my favorite style at this point.

Back