conditioning beer carbed vs uncarbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgfitz

Reaction score
is there a differance in bulk ageing beer carbed or uncarbed? I am working on the patience of waiting on keg or bottle conditioned beers but it is too easy to check on how it is doing:D

if it was in a carboy it would not be as easy to check on as carbed conditioned beer.

i want to try a barley wine but i dont think that if it is carbed that i can leave it just sit there. i will want to see how things are moving along.

can i bulk age it in the secondary and get the same results or will i still get the green flavor until carbed and aged?

I've never noticed any difference. If I'm making a kit that includes priming sugar, it goes in the keg, so the beer carbonates while conditioning. My own recipes get force-carbonated before consumption.

I have found that 90% of my ales take 6 weeks to mature regardless of where they are stored. 4 weeks in the primary, or 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary; both followed by 2 weeks of force carbing (sitting not shaking).

Aged is the key. The beer will be done when it's done. Carbed or uncarbed, it will still need the same time to do its thing. Of course, it has to be carbed to be ready to drink, but that doesn't mean the yeast have cleaned up the beer.

And know that warmer beer will get ready faster than cooler beer. But it will go bad faster too.

What I recommend is getting the pipeline built up and brew a couple of bigger beers. That will make it a bit easier to wait until they are ready. A young barleywine is not necessarily a bad drinking beer. It's usually hoppier and harsher, but some people like it that way.

thank for all the replys i am working on the pipeline but i had a pumpkin beer ageing in bottles for thanksgiving and next thing i know i am putting the last ones in the fridge. i was just wondering if i could age the beer in a secondary and then carb when i am ready to drink them. i will keep in mind that warm beers will go bad faster.

thank for the help

Latest posts

Back