Conditioning/Aging Saisons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salz

Reaction score
I brew Saisons a lot using wyeast 3711. I have always bottled conditioned. Leave bottles around 55F before chilling to drink. This style gets better with age, 3 months it's great, 6 months it's perfect. It actually gains more flavor! What is going on?

Is it the yeast still working or is it something else adding complexity/flavor?

My experience with some other styles is that young beer is "harsh" and has to mellow out a bit before drinking. This seems the opposite for the Saison style.

What will happen if I keg this instead of bottling? Will it taste the same?

First post! Let me know if I am in the correct section or if I should move this. Thanks

Most of my saisons are gone in a month. But luckily have a ton bottled at the moment waiting for this summer. I'll truth your statement come this summer.

Bottled a Saison 5 weeks ago, conditioned @ 70F for 3 weeks. Fridged a few for 1 week before trying the first one. Definitely a little green, a little heavy on the hop side. The rest are stored at 60-62F. Confident that in a few more weeks will turn it around.

Traditionally saisons are meant to be had fresh as the lighter esters and flavors would tend to fade. It's mostly high alcohol beers that are aged due to initial high alcohol "heat."

Though this is Homebrewing, so do whatever you want! If you like it better with age, go for it. I'd guess that the yeast is still eating through sugars as you're aging it and gaining flavor.

What temperature are you aging it at?

Flavors don't change during conditioning solely because of yeast. There are other very slow chemical reactions happening that can also change the flavors. That's why barleywines mellow over time.

I am aging at 55F. I try to store some to see how the flavor changes.

Just got some kegs and I am wondering if the flavor will change if force carbonating v.s. bottle conditioned.

I thought saison originated from ales brewed during the cooler and less active months in farmhouses and then stored for drinking by the farm workers during the summer months? I followed this theory by saving some beer 3 to 6 months. I do like it better after 3 months.

Back