Conditioning after crash cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohanz

Reaction score
Hey guys, just keen to get some feedback here on conditioning my APA.

Basically it has finished fermenting after 10days and I need to free up the fermenting fridge for a new batch this weekend... this would give me 14days total in primary then rack into the keg...
But my question is should i crash cool the primary fermenter for 3 days before racking into the keg to settle out the dry hops and yeast THEN leave it at room temp sealed off to condition for another week or so, or rack directly into the keg from 22C and then crash cool it in the keg after a period of conditioning?

This will be my second batch to be kegged so still kinda n00b at this. the last batch i rushed (2 weeks from grain to glass with force carbing) so want to give it a better chance to condition at warmer temps.

Cheers :)

Cold crash in primary then transfer to keg at room temp, or better yet cellar temps, for conditioning. Conditioning in the keg will be the same as conditioning in a carboy. You don't want to cold crash in the keg because everything that drops out of your beer will then be sitting I the bottom of your keg. Most of the time that gunk will just make its way out in the first couple of glasses you pour and then its fine, but why waste those two glasses of beer?

Cold crash it, transfer to the keg cold, start carbing. I wouldn't worry about conditioning it warm, set at your desired PSI for two weeks, and you'll be good to go

Crash it, +/- add finings when ~30 to 32F

Keg and carb.

It will condition nicely at cold temperatures.

An APA, there should be much conditioning needed if any.

cool thanks guys appreciate the feedback! Will cold crash it and straight to keg. Hopefully this keg lasts a bit longer than my first one!

Back