Concern about stuck sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got home and openned my Fed Ex delivery...an all grain batch for a Belgian Wit.

Concern:

I have 5 lbs pale malt and 5 lbs flaked wheat.

Am I going to be facing a stuck sparge (batch sparge) with my manifold? THis flaked wheat looks suspiciously like flaked oats...a grain I have a bit of trouble with during sparge time.

Biermann said:
Its very possible. That's a lot of flaked wheat. You always could add some rice hulls.
Heh...

Not of I don't have them...:eek:

Maybe I'll tryo to layer the pale malt on the bottom and gently stir to try to keep the better filtering grains on the bottom...

Stuck sparge is a possibility with that much wheat. A couple big handfuls of rice hulls in the mash will help. Also when you first begin your vorlauf, open the valve gradually. This will allow channels to develop and allow your wort to drain freely. If you open the valve all the way suddenly, you will suck the grain tight against the manifold and stop the flow.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Back