Concentrate with preservatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent44

Reaction score
So here is a question, if you made some cider and decided to backsweeten with concentrate, if you used concentrate with preservatives, would you have to stabilize the cider first, also if you threw in one can of concentrate with preservatives and some bottling sugar would only the sugar ferment? I dunno just a random thought came into my mind tonight while I was laying here, lol. Maybe you could get a sweet carbonated cider by adding a can of each or a preserved can and some bottling sugar. We need someone to try it lol.

So here is a question, if you made some cider and decided to backsweeten with concentrate, if you used concentrate with preservatives, would you have to stabilize the cider first, also if you threw in one can of concentrate with preservatives and some bottling sugar would only the sugar ferment? I dunno just a random thought came into my mind tonight while I was laying here, lol. Maybe you could get a sweet carbonated cider by adding a can of each or a preserved can and some bottling sugar. We need someone to try it lol.

Preservatives may or may not ferment- it depends what kind. Sodium benzoate, probably not. Sorbate, maybe. Sulfite, definitely.

Thats actually a very good question... Id be more inclined to say that it probably won't ferment. The yeast that are left will be few and far in between at the end of fermentation, by the time u wanna back sweeten. Either way if anyone has an answer, i'd be curious to hear what it is.

Can't speak as to whether or not it would ferment, too many variables. Regardless, the basic premise is flawed. The preservatives in the concentrate aren't bound to those sugars, when you mix in the concentrate, those preservatives get spread throughout the entire batch. Either all the sugars (priming and sweetening) will ferment, or they won't.

Back