Conan didn't carbonate properly last batch. Should I add yeast this time at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyrub42

Reaction score
Just brewed a NEIPA with Conan and it has barely carbonated at all in 11 days. I'm talking about a small hiss at opening but almost no carbonation in the bottles. I shook and agitated the bottles but still no big improvements. I'm disappointed because the beer came out amazingly otherwise. I am conditioning very warm, at around 90 (only space I have), but 05 is usually carbed within a few days and carbed properly within 7-10, so I'm not sure if it's the Conan or just an anomaly. I added the correct amount of sugar for 2.3 volumes.

My concern is that I have another NEIPA ready for bottling tomorrow. I'm not sure whether to take a chance on it, or add some more yeast to it at bottling. What do you guys think? If I should add yeast, I have three options:
-Conan slurry. My problem with this is that there's likely already plenty of Conan in the IPA that didn't carbonate. I crashed it to 50 degrees for 48 hours but that shouldn't have dropped too much yeast out of it.
-t58. I could add 1-2g rehydrated to my bottling bucket. I've heard it's a good bottling yeast, but I'm a bit nervous about it throwing off unwelcome esters into the beer. Anyone have experience with this?
-05 or Nottingham, 1-2g rehydrated. I have both if these. I tend to dislike 05s taste in bottle conditioning, but it tends to get under control after a week in the fridge.

What do you all think? Thanks!

Any chance you didn't integrate/mix the priming sugar/solution well?
If you want to add yeast, look at something that is less attenuative than Conan. You don't want the yeast muching left over maltose.
CBC-1 is good for that.
Wine yeast are good for this as well
Here's a good, but older, thread.

www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=13099.0

Thanks for the reply. Definitely no chance I didn't mix the sugar well. Too many people I know have had bottle bombs so I risk a little oxidation and give it a good stir for awhile (making sure not to agitate the surface or stir too quickly of course).

Luckily Conan is super attenuative so all of the yeast options I have would he unlikely to eat anything left from primary fermentation. I'll have a look at that other thread, thanks!

What was the abv?
Curious now.
Can you stick it under the bed or in a closet for a week and get it in the 70s?
TYB recommends 64-70
Maybe it doesn't like 90°...?

What was the abv?
Curious now.
Can you stick it under the bed or in a closet for a week and get it in the 70s?
TYB recommends 64-70
Maybe it doesn't like 90°...?

Abv was 7.1, fg was 1.016. I live in a rooftop apartment in Taiwan (near tropic of cancer), so even under a bed, it would be too hot. My stairwell is the only consistent place to condition, and usually sits around 27-28C in the summer (low 80s), but because of a recent heat wave it is sitting at 31-32 (about 90). I've always had the best luck in the 75-80 range for conditioning, but have never had yeast shut down at a higher temp before. Weird.

I'll give that batch another week and see if it keeps slowly carbing or if it's shut down.

As for the next batch I'm bottling, what do you think? Add some t58?

The abv is well within the functioning range for that yeast.
Very strange.
Won't hurt to add additional yeast if you wanted to.
I still wonder if those high temps are having an adverse effect on the carbing process

Anyhow, if you saw some carbonation in a previously opened bottle, I would hope you'll see it finish in due time.

Well after rousing the yeast by flipping the bottles they are carbing quickly. However, the 2 weeks with no activity has led to the beer oxidizing slightly. I'm pretty sensitive to oxidized hops so it's pretty much ruined, going from amazing (at bottling) to 'good'. Huge bummer and not something I want to show off anymore.

I'll be adding some t58 to my beer today for sure

Well after rousing the yeast by flipping the bottles they are carbing quickly. However, the 2 weeks with no activity has led to the beer oxidizing slightly. I'm pretty sensitive to oxidized hops so it's pretty much ruined, going from amazing (at bottling) to 'good'. Huge bummer and not something I want to show off anymore.

I'll be adding some t58 to my beer today for sure

I always flip my bottles at least once. I do it at days 3-4-5 after I bottled. I thought this was a common practice, but anyway, my last NEIPA carbed in 4 days.

I always flip my bottles at least once. I do it at days 3-4-5 after I bottled. I thought this was a common practice, but anyway, my last NEIPA carbed in 4 days.

I tried that on this batch after almost two weeks of not carbing, but all it did was worsen oxidation. I have no idea what happened, but I guess Conan just doesn't like high temps (?)

After this fiasco, I used t58 as bottling yeast in my second Conan IPA. Carbed slightly by 24 hours and almost fully carbed today (3 days later). I have to say at this point I really recommend the practice. I was hesitant because t58 throws off lots of Belgiany esters, but had heard it wouldn't happen for bottling. Totally correct! Not only does the yeast taste clean and ester free, but it also flocs into a super hard and compact little cake at the bottom of the bottle. While I feel like 05 needs several days in the fridge and a very careful pour to avoid getting too much yeast in the beer, t58-conditioned beer has been good in 8 hours (I expect it to be totally perfect withing 24-48), and I can pour the whole bottle out and barely disturb the yeast at the bottom.

After the second beer started carbing beautifully, I went back and reopened all of the first ones, added t58 and a little booster sugar (just in case...), and resealed them. Their now carbed.

I have to say I don't think I'll be rousing the bottles in the future, as it seemed to get a lot of extra oxygen into the beer and worsen oxidation. I might be way off, but after this last experience, I'll be using t58 to bottle condition everything. 1.5g in a 24-liter batch did the trick, so we're talking 7-8 batches off of a 3-dollar yeast packet. I am super happy with it! I just threw it on the stir plate with 100ml of water while I waited for my sugar water to cool off, and added it to my bottling bucket once the beer started flowing. Finally, a good use for t58 lol!

Latest posts

Back