community designed recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcbar

Reaction score
I've been thinking of ways to encourage myself to play around with new ingredients. I thought this might be fun :)

1) Name a grain (or other fermentable).
2) The next person gives the quantity (in lbs.) of that grain. Then they give their own.
3) This continues until someone decides we've reached a decent OG. That person names a hop variety (or other ingredient to add during the boil).
4) The next person gives the quantity (in oz.) of that hop and when it should be added in the boil. Then they give their own. It's ok to name a hop that's already been named.
5) This continues until someone decides we've reached a decent IBU. That person names a yeast.
6) We decide if the recipe is any good. Of course there's only one way to know for sure :)

I'll get us started:

Wheat malt (so the next person to post gets to tell us how much).

So that gives us:

5# Maris Otter
2# rye
2# pale malt
1/2# Wheat malt
1/2# Crystal 40

0.5 oz magnum 60 min
0.5 oz galaxy 30 min

us-05

6.3% ABV, 41 IBUs, sort of a strong, dry-ish american pale ale. Interesting splitting the base malt between maris otter and pale - I would probably go with one or the other. At 5% of the bill I don't think the wheat would add too much other than body and head - but some rye spicyness might come through, and maybe some fruitiness from the galaxy hops.

Anyone want to start another?

I agree about one way or the other on the pale as I have made an IPA with the two in opposite proportions as we have here.

BUT this is what the community wanted haha, a mutt of pale ale.

This would be fun to do once a month.

Remember, you give the fermentable, the next poster gives the quantity. So we're at:

2lbs Belgian Aromatic
x lbs Gernam Pilsner

Let's say 4 lbs.

Next fermentable - honey. How much?

2 cups cold-brewed coffee and two vanilla beans split, diced and soaked in vodka for two weeks. Add to primary (with or without the vanilla beans) after primary fermentation is over or just add liquid to the bottling bucket/keg

It does when you're mixing malt flavors & adding more dyastatic power for the other grain additions to convert. There's a lot of beers out there that use more than one base malt.

Back