commercial cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roymullins

Reaction score
OK- don't shoot me... I like Strongbow- I just picked up some Woodchuck Spring Release and was pleasantly surprised- Woodpecker is pretty good- I know- it is commercially made crap but... hey- I like it when I don't have any home-made available... I currently have a batch that is about a week away from bottling... 6 weeks in the bottle.. so that is 7 weeks of no cider! Beer... rum... port wine- wonderful but a little cider certainly hits the spot- I know the solution- MAKE MORE! YEAR-AROUND SUPPLY! but until then... Hornsby's blows- yuck- most commercial-made cider is obviously too sweet- and most of the craft-made ciders are so damned expensive and are bottled and presented like a fine wine... to me a cider is to be poured in deep tankards and quaffed! not sipped in little pansy-assed wine glasses... anyway... commercial ciders... my question is what do people out there like/dislike?

I like these!

http://cidery.com/

They occasionally have free shipping on a case and they use crown caps so you can refill them with your own brew! Green glass and the label glue requires solvents to remove, unfortunately. Keep them in the shipping case box and you're golden. I've got three cases full of homebrew.

My favorites are King Baldwin, No.4, and Spyglass, in that order.

Sardoman said:
I like these!

http://cidery.com/

They occasionally have free shipping on a case and they use crown caps so you can refill them with your own brew! Green glass and the label glue requires solvents to remove, unfortunately. Keep them in the shipping case box and you're golden. I've got three cases full of homebrew.

My favorites are King Baldwin, No.4, and Spyglass, in that order.

Wow, those look interesting. I suspect some will be ordered by me tonight.

My commercial favorites thus far are:
Any of the Crispin artisan releases
Woodpecker
Woodchuck 802
Woodchuck Barrel Select
Ace Joker (for a little kick)

It's slim pickins where I live, so I drive all over looking for good ciders to try. That, and the price of cider, is ultimately why I'm brewing now. This place has been great for ideas so far. I'm on my third batch without having bottled my first yet. Lol

I never knew about them. Might have to plan a drive down there this spring for their tasting event. Bring some of my own to share.

I never knew about them. Might have to plan a drive down there this spring for their tasting event. Bring some of my own to share.

You really should come down. Bellwether is a family business owned and operated by some good friends of mine with a passion for American craft cider. I'm missing this years cider makers event but I may leave a few of my bottles with the staff so I can get some feedback.

I wish more Crispin was sold in my parts. I've heard only good things about it.
JK's Scrumpys, its got a strange but incredible taste. My favorite.
Woodchuck Farmhouse select
Farnum Hill Cider
Strongbow, Magners... both good
Any cider I've yet to try... And I'm looking...
Most Woodchucks, Hornsby's, Original Sins... I can't drink these anymore, too sweet. Samuel Smiths tastes watered down to me. Harpoon, strange taste.
The exception to any rule is, if its on tap, its going to taste good.

Back