Comments on my next 10 GAL PM Brown Ale???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillwinkle

Reaction score
Howdy,

I am trying to get as close as I can to a (partial mash) Downtown Brown by Lost Coast in Eureka, and add a few adjuncts here & there. If you see something out of line, or have any suggestions, they are welcomed and appreciated!!

Also, by viewing this, I was going to use about 3-4 gals for 60 minutes @ 150 for the grains.

Thanks in advance, Dill

10 GALLONS PM

3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 16.22 %
7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 37.84 %
3.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 16.22 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
1.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
1.00 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 %
3.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
2 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Looks pretty good to me, although you are a bit heavier on the crystal than I tend to go (I tend to like beers that are on the dry side).

You might have problems getting good conversion with so much dark/crsytal malt pushing the pH lower. Maybe start the mash with just the pale and biscuit (the only ones that need to convert) then add more water and the rest of the grains.

Good luck.

What a lot of variety in the grains. Are you sure the original has the variety?
I though commercial brews were usually simple. Though Sprecher black bavarian is said to have 5 malts and 3 hops in it.

Will be interesting to see if you get there. I had their raspberry version and liked that.

Adam

I've never had a Downtown Brown so I could be way off base. Personally I woud drop both crystals down to 1 lb. each, forget the roasted barley and replace the biscuit with victory. But that's just me.

Back