Comment my IPA ... Yet another!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hjandersen

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this IPA? (we're aiming for medium-full body and noticeable malt-notes of course along a great deal of juicy hoppiness!)

Efficiency: 74.0% Batch size: 62.0 L

Fermentables

• Fermentable Amount Use PPG Color
  • Pilsner (DE) 10.0 kg 58% Mash 38 1 °L
  • CaraRed (DE) 2.0 kg 11% Mash 34 20 °L
  • Carapils (DE) 2.0 kg 11% Mash 35 1 °L
  • CaraMunich II (DE) 1.5 kg 8% Mash 34 46 °L
  • Flaked Oats 1.0 kg 5% Mash 33 2 °L
  • Pale Wheat (DE) 0.5 kg 2% Mash 36 2 °L
  • Hops Boil time: 60 min

Hops

1. Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
  2. Simcoe (US) 50.0 g 60 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
  3. Simcoe (US) 50.0 g 20 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
  4. Amarillo (US) 40.0 g 15 min Boil Pellet 9.3%
  5. Amarillo (US) 40.0 g 5 min Boil Pellet 9.3%
  6. Citra (US) 40.0 g 5 min Boil Pellet 13.7%
  7. Citra (US) 140.0 g 0 min Whirlpool Pellet 13.7%
  8. Citra (US) 120.0 g 0 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.7% (fermentor 1 38 L)
  9. Amarillo (US) 120.0 g 0 days Dry Hop Pellet 9.3% (fermentor 1 - 38L)
  10. Cascade (US) 100.0 g 0 days Dry Hop Pellet 7.0% (fermenter 2 - 11L)
  11. Galaxy (AU) 100.0 g 0 days Dry Hop Pellet 14.2% (fermentor 3 11 L)

Yeasts

Name Lab Average Attenuation
  1. Fermentis Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05 78.0%
  2. Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Danstar 75.0%

Extras

Name Amount Time Use
  • Irish Moss 30.0 g 10.0 min Boil
  • VinoFerm Nutrient 15.0 g 10.0 min Boil
  • Biersol 20.0 ml 10.0 min Boil

Mash steps

Step Heat Source Target Temp Time
  • Protein Rest Direct Heat 52.0 °C 5 min
  • Saccharification Rest Direct Heat 65.0 °C 40 min
  • Dextrinization Rest Direct Heat 67.0 °C 30 min
  • Mash-Out Direct Heat 78.0 °C 3 min

Notes

Dryhopping do in 3 separate fermentors 38L - 240g = 100 + 140g Citra+Amarillo (10 + 5 days) 11L - 40 + 60g Cascade (10 + 5 days) 11L - 40 + 60g Galaxy (10 + 5 days)

Predicted Stats

• 1.062 OG
  • 1.015 FG
  • 49 IBU
  • 6.1% ABV
  • 10 SRM
  • 0.8 IBU/OG

Looks pretty tasty to me.

personally I wouldn't use 11% carared. I'd use up to 40% munich malt though for good deep amber color and nice malt backbone. Why the flaked oats? There will be plenty of body from the cara-malts and oats will add protein haze which will make an already cloudy, dry-hopped IPA look like a wheat beer. That's personal preference though. Some people like cloudy IPA's. The Irish moss should help that problem anyway.

2 types of yeast mixed? I always use US-05 in my IPA's. Great neutral yeast that powers through to FG every time!

I love Simcoe, Citra and Amarillo. Personally I think those hops at 60 min for bittering is a bit of a waste on a good aroma hop. I always use Galena or Magnum to bitter and the high end hops late boil, whirlpool and dry hop.

I love the idea of dry hopping in various secondary vessels to give a different nose on each. I am going to try that on my next IPA.

Looks pretty tasty to me.

personally I wouldn't use 11% carared. I'd use up to 40% munich malt though for good deep amber color and nice malt backbone. Why the flaked oats? There will be plenty of body from the cara-malts and oats will add protein haze which will make an already cloudy, dry-hopped IPA look like a wheat beer. That's personal preference though. Some people like cloudy IPA's. The Irish moss should help that problem anyway.

2 types of yeast mixed? I always use US-05 in my IPA's. Great neutral yeast that powers through to FG every time!

I love Simcoe, Citra and Amarillo. Personally I think those hops at 60 min for bittering is a bit of a waste on a good aroma hop. I always use Galena or Magnum to bitter and the high end hops late boil, whirlpool and dry hop.

I love the idea of dry hopping in various secondary vessels to give a different nose on each. I am going to try that on my next IPA.

Super! - thanks man!
Grain bill is inspired from Mikkeller Single hops series. Anyway - will consider leaving out CaraRed and going with more Munich. I brewed a few IPAs recently with a very thin mouthfeel and prefer not to repeat that, hence both Oats and plenty of Cara-malt.

Hops is directly derived from a horizontal tasting of Mikkellers single hops series. We went for semi-late simcoe-addition to get that juicy taste it has without to much of it's aroma. We all (3) preferred the aroma of the Citra and reckon that coupled with the depth of amarillo it could be nice.. Galaxy and Cascade dry hops are mainly for the fun/education of having some slightly different varieties in stock..
(So to answer you we're just avoiding another 100g packet using Simcoe as bittering and my LHBS has none of the hops you mention..)

Yeasts Is two strains detrimental? Had some weird peachy experiences with US-05 once.. (again we're basically inspired by the mikkeller recipe using a Chico and a west coast-ish strain..)

Super! - thanks man!
Grain bill is inspired from Mikkeller Single hops series. Anyway - will consider leaving out CaraRed and going with more Munich. I brewed a few IPAs recently with a very thin mouthfeel and prefer not to repeat that, hence both Oats and plenty of Cara-malt.

Hops is directly derived from a horizontal tasting of Mikkellers single hops series. We went for semi-late simcoe-addition to get that juicy taste it has without to much of it's aroma. We all (3) preferred the aroma of the Citra and reckon that coupled with the depth of amarillo it could be nice.. Galaxy and Cascade dry hops are mainly for the fun/education of having some slightly different varieties in stock..
(So to answer you we're just avoiding another 100g packet using Simcoe as bittering and my LHBS has none of the hops you mention..)

Yeasts Is two strains detrimental? Had some weird peachy experiences with US-05 once.. (again we're basically inspired by the mikkeller recipe using a Chico and a west coast-ish strain..)

Grain bill: You will not be dissapointed in Munich as a body adding malt with a good malt flavor that will provide the backbone you crave in your IPA's. Most IPA's are all about the hop flavor/aroma, but I too prefer a strong malt presence coupled with the high hopping rates. :mug:

I've heard some conflicting information about mixing yeast strains. Sometimes it can taint the flavor profile. Really there is simply no need for it. The Chico strain will produce no off flavors if fermentation is in the low end of the recommended range which is 60-65 F (15.5 - 18.3 C)

Grain bill: You will not be dissapointed in Munich as a body adding malt with a good malt flavor that will provide the backbone you crave in your IPA's. Most IPA's are all about the hop flavor/aroma, but I too prefer a strong malt presence coupled with the high hopping rates. :mug:

I've heard some conflicting information about mixing yeast strains. Sometimes it can taint the flavor profile. Really there is simply no need for it. The Chico strain will produce no off flavors if fermentation is in the low end of the recommended range which is 60-65 F (15.5 - 18.3 C)

:mug: The stuff is ordered - doubled the Munich II..
- I don't completely trust US-05 (the labelled range is 17-22 celcius), and I find that is throws of peachy esters if staying in the low end (as generally recommended e.g. on HBT) - Maybe I need to be a bit more meticulous in raising the temp after the first week etc or my nose is particularly sensitive to the peachy stuff..

:mug: The stuff is ordered - doubled the Munich II..
- I don't completely trust US-05 (the labelled range is 17-22 celcius), and I find that is throws of peachy esters if staying in the low end (as generally recommended e.g. on HBT) - Maybe I need to be a bit more meticulous in raising the temp after the first week etc or my nose is particularly sensitive to the peachy stuff..

Keep us updated on the outcome of your recipe!

I use US-05 for my IPA's but lately I've preferred Nottingham because it is significantly more flocculant under refrigeration giving me much brighter beer, even dry hopped recipes!

I have always fermented with US-05 at or below the lower end of the labelled range (16C or about 61-62F) and once the krausen falls I slowly let it rise to 70F (22C?) and leave it there another week before dry hopping. Always produced great IPA's for me!

Back