American IPA Comet session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Br3w4u

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY1318
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6.99 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Cold crash 24 hours
Tasting Notes
Tropical fruit, slight malty sweetness, great aroma.
7.75# Marris otter
1# Flaked oats
1# Munich
4oz. Honey malt
2oz. Belgian aromatic malt

Mashed at 152 for 60 min
Batch sparged

Boil for 60 min.

1oz. Comet @ 30 min.
1oz. Comet @ 10 min.
2oz. Comet in whirlpool for 30 min. @175 F
2oz. Comet dry hop on day 3 of fermentation

Fermented with WY1318 for 10 days then cold crash 24 hours.

I used 100% RO water with 5.5 grams calcium sulfate, 3 Grams calcium chloride, and .6 grams pink Himalayan salt.

I also used whole hops. Next time I brew this I will use pellet hops just because the whole hops were a pain to deal with and absorbed a lot of wort. Also I might lower the sulfate level next time.
I can’t think of a name for this but I will say it is meant to be a clone of Roughtail Make out session. Not sure how close I got but it’s a really good beer.

I made a couple of beers last year with Comet. I really enjoy this hop.

I am going to experiment with an ultra low session ale (3%) using two-row and oats. How did the one pound of oats impact this beer? Did you notice better mouthfeel? Cloudiness? Any negative effects?

how did you add your salt additions? mash? split mash/sparge? to the boil?

I made a couple of beers last year with Comet. I really enjoy this hop.

I am going to experiment with an ultra low session ale (3%) using two-row and oats. How did the one pound of oats impact this beer? Did you notice better mouthfeel? Cloudiness? Any negative effects?
It is cloudy but not milkshake cloudy like some you might see. I feel like it helps with the mouthfeel although I haven’t tried making this without oats so I’m not sure if it really matters but there wasn’t a negative effect so I would just keep using the oats. Going down to 3% I would think you will need any extra body you could get.

Back